Thread: Cocker Spaniel with arthritis

Cocker Spaniel with arthritis

My eight year old Cocker suffers from arthritis. She has been on Deramaxx for a couple of months. Lately she has been vomiting. I have taken her off of this medication. I was just curious to know if anyone out there knows of a safe alternative to Deramaxx. I want her to feel better...but I don't want her to be sick all the time either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi NLPanfil,

My first question is : are you sure your dog is vomiting because of the medication?
    I noticed you said your dog has already been on this medication for a few months. I think that is kind of a delayed reaction don't you? Perhaps it would be a good idea to ask your vet this question. It is possible that there maybe another thing going on with your pup.
    In the meantime , I certainly don't disagree that it is always a good idea to reasearch other safer alternatives for your dog's treatment of arthritis. I would get on the internet and research arthritis in dogs. I promise you once you get on the right track you will learn so much! It will help you ask the intelligent questions needed (to your vet) that will eventually help you decide whether he is well informed enough about the illness or too close minded to assist you in doing what you feel is best for your dog.
    I wish you much luck and hope you keep us posted on how your baby is doing...Take Care...Scout

My mom has a miniature dachsund who has arthritis. My mom gives her dog shark cartilage (in biscuit/cookie form) and it seems to help with the arthritis. Shark cartilage is also known to be effective in combating arthritis in humans. I'm not sure where you are located, but my mom buys the shark cartilage at a Pet Valu store near her. Just like Scout has suggested, doing research on the internet about alternative medicine is a good idea ... and of course, talking to vet about it.
    Animals are such agreeable friends -- they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.

"The question is not, Can they reason? nor Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?" (Jeremy Bentham)

http://community.webshots.com/user/eeveep

Thank you I will look into the shark cartilage.

Deramaxx & pancreatitis watch out!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 75% canadian grey timber wolf, 25% alaskan malimute of 120 pounds at the age of 11 and 1/2 years. At the age of 5 years she was diagnoised with arthritis. She has been on adequain injections that started 3 months apart. Six years later she still tolirates them well at the progressive adjustment to every three weeks. They clearly have made a difference and are easy to administer at home yourself, though costly.

She recently started to display an increase in discomfort and the vet put her onto deramaxx. At first she was like a puppy again!!! After 5 - 6 months she too started vomiting every meal. I had blood work done and her pancreatic enzymes had raised, diagnosis - pancreatitus. Not fatal, but difficult on her body and concerning as it is able to progress to a point of compromising the immune system.

Her diet was adjusted to ground chicken, non-fat cottage cheese, white rice, equal parts and her meal times were increased so to give her stomach smaller portions to have to digest. No luck - food is still coming up. Time for more research. As cheyenne is also on medication for low thiroid and another for "dribbling urine" i got out the computer and any paperwork that came with the meds and starting reading.

Turns out the pharmicological paperwork that comes with deramaxx shows pancreatitus as a side indication of the medication!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is not from a vet or someones opionion - this is from the company that makes and sells the product!!!!! Take your dog off it immediately. I did and saw results within 18 hours. She hasn't vomited since. And read that paperwork! My vet continued to insist it was not the deramaxx even after i showed it to her in writting from the makers - no need to say i have changed vets.

Oh - and the most recent blood work shows the pancreatic enzymes were they are suppost to be. I am however currently looking for alternatives for pain management...........................

Bear had the adequan shots also...I didnt know that it was a continuous med.I thought that once he was done the series that was it...learn something new all the time!!
    Anyways Bear is on Zubrin.It seems to work out well for him.He still has his days(especially when it rains)... He gets the occasional dirreah epsisode but other than that its a pretty good med.Best of luck with your pooch!

Chicken necks, raw. The VA did a study years ago, giving veterans with severe arthritis ground up chicken cartilage. It basically cured their arthritis. If you don't want to give raw, try Glyco-Flex II, stage II, made by Vetri-Science Laboratories.