View Full Version : lab muzzle is swelling any ideas?
08-17-2004, 12:47 AM
our dog just went outside and when she came in her muzzle was starting to swell. we have no poisonous snakes, and I know of no poisonous plants. It is twice the size of normal. Should I be alarmed? :confused:
08-17-2004, 02:01 AM
I think you should call a vet asap, the swelling might go to her throat, causing difficulty in swallowing and breathing. It could be many number of things, but first I would contact an vet right now. Then I would try and discover what it could be, possibly several bee stings, or wasp stings. She may have gotten into something she is allergic to. I would watch her VERY closely until you can get her into the vet.
08-17-2004, 02:43 AM
Ditto what Newfi said... I'd call a vet, I really hate to second guess things and it may be something that needs medical attention right away. Do you have foxtails?... dont know if the nose would swell that quickly. Good luck and welcome to the board!! :)
08-17-2004, 03:27 AM
I agree with the above advice.....keep us posted please and yes....WELCOME to Petlovers!
08-17-2004, 05:23 AM
Everyone who responded so far is completely coorect. You MUST call the vet asap. If the swelling becomes worse, then you need to have the vet paged and have your dog seen immediately. Good luck!
08-17-2004, 08:53 AM
i watched her late into the night. after a few hours the swelling went down some and her breathing was fine. I don't know of any foxtails, our farm is spread outand vegitation in the woods is uncertain. I do know she loves to eat frogs and i think she could have gotten one. This morning she is loving all the attention and we will continue to watch her. Thanks for the help