PDA

View Full Version : Non pregnant dog producing milk

DachshundDuo
08-05-2004, 12:10 AM
:confused: I have a female dachshund that is not pregnant (98% sure) but is producing milk. I talked to the vet about it, but they want to do an x ray to see if she is pregnant. I just simply can not afford this right now. I have a male dachshund who is sick and is presently an inpatient at Ohio State Univeristy Veterinary Teaching Hospital. I have already easily spent $1000 on his care and now am added up more. I really don't believe that my female is pregant because her reproductive cycle began in late April and finished in the middle of May. I know that a dogs pregnancy normally lasts 63 days. Her belly and sides are not larger than normal and she isn't acting any differently. The only difference in her is that her breasts are just slightly larger and she is producing milk. And to be honest, I would not have noticied that if she did not have a nipple that inverts at times. I had to extract her nipple is when I found the milk. This is her second heat cycle. She is 1 year and 8 months old and has never been bred. He breasts are soft, not painful and she doesn't seem to care that I check them to see if she is still producing milk. The tissue does not seem to be warmer than usual and it is not red. Why would a dog lactate that is not pregnant? Could my male have bred her and I just didn't know it? I watched them all the time except for when I was sleeping and then she had on a peri pad. HELP!! :rolleyes:

opokki
08-05-2004, 05:50 PM
It could be a false pregnancy.
Here is a link with more info about it:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/fap.html

Jerica
08-05-2004, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a false pregnancy to me too. My chihuahua girl had one after she was with a male, she even got fatter and such, but never had pups. We also had thought maybe it was a miscarriage but aren't for sure. I think there is no need for an xray. If she is pregnant she would gain weight.

Cat&Dog mom
08-05-2004, 08:13 PM
I agree, could be a false prenancy. Let us know.

DachshundDuo
08-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks so much for the website. That has cleared up some questions. I am glad to know that this will probably not be physically harming to her. I have noticed that she tries to dig at the carpet some (which is new) and she also sometimes looks like she is searching for something, but in general she appears to still be happy and well adjusted. When she digs at the carpet or appears to be looking for something is normally when she is playing. It is by no means a consant activity. She sits in my lap a lot and she does nto do this when I go to bed (because she goes with me). Thanks for answers! I was really hoping that she was not bred because Bubby, my male, has been sick and right now we don't know if he can pass it on or not. If he can then I will have him neutered and maybe her spayed as well. (he will be horrified to wake up with his 'walnut' missing! :eek: )

krazy4birds
08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Oh how funny Becky...never heard it put that way before...walnuts hahahahahaha...I too think your little girl is having false symptons. Good luck to your little babies!

norma miller
08-16-2004, 07:08 PM
How old is your dog?My Chow,Lady used to do this before I had her spayed.Everytime she went into heat,about two mths.later she would produce milk,dig the carpet and hide and whine like she was in labor.I think she just wanted to be a mommy very bad because she realy loves puppies.I found two Chow mix puppies in the road a few mths,ago and she would wash them and play with them like they were hers. Norma

DachshundDuo
08-16-2004, 07:33 PM
My little dachshund girl is 1 year and 8 months old. This was her second heat. I don't remember her doing this with her first heat. I have two other dogs; a male dachshund and a spayed female mixed breed. Daisy (the dachshund) is always cleaning Sadie (the mixed breed female) and Bubby (the male dachshund). Since I first posted this, Daisy has quit producing milk and she does not seem to be digging at the carpet anymore. I don't think that she was terribly disturbed by the whole experience, although I'm sure she didn't really know what was happening. She is a good little girl, as is Sadie and Bubby is a good little boy. I love my three babies fiercely and will never allow them to suffer any serious discomfort.

So you have a female chow and two chow mix pups? Chows are very pretty dogs - what color is she and the pups? How old is your female chow and what is her name?

norma miller
08-20-2004, 09:10 AM
My chow Lady is eleven yrs.old and she is red.The chow mix pups are now 9mths.old and look more like border collie's now that the've grown so I guess thats what they're mixed with.I have been trying to find good homes for them but no luck so far.I think Lady goes through the false labor thing because she had had so many litters in her younger days.I sold her as a pup and later found out that her new owner never got her spayed and she just had pups twice a year.She was two and six mths when I got her back and pregnant by a Rottwieler.That was her last litter and she loved those little puppies so much.I gave one of them to a friend and she still hates him for taking her baby away.Whenever I bring in stray puppies she adopts them.I guess she realy liked being a mommy.I feel sorry for her because she can't have her own but there are too many unwanted dogs and she's way to old now anyway.What are dachunds like?I;ve never been around any of them.I think there cute with those flopy ears and long bodies. Norma

gcoppedge
11-16-2007, 04:18 AM
We have a 5-year-old dachshund, and she too has a false pregnancy almost every time after going into heat. Dachshunds are particularly prone to false pregnancy. I suppose the assumption is that their bodies will definitely be pregnant after going through heat. Unfortunately, in our *****, she has some of the typical pre-birthing behaviors - seeking isolated & protected corners, digging, whining, slight lactation, and a general uneasiness. All this is totally hormone driven. The only four ways to avoid it I know of are to either: 1) let her have pups - then find good homes for them all, 2) get her spayed, 3) give her a hormone injection that stops that episode, or 4) use a LT homeopathic cure. http://www.smalldogsparadise.com/breeding-small-dogs/how-to-treat-canine-false-pregnancy-once-and-for-all/

xpalaboyx
11-16-2007, 05:36 AM
My friend told me that his dachshund also has false pregnancy and showed the same symptoms. For the meantime, focus on your other dog that needs care and treatment.