PDA

View Full Version : Euthanasia question

benali72
01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I know there are some Vets and Vet Techs on this board so I have a question maybe they can answer.

What is the proper chemical to use in euthanasia for dogs and cats?

I ask because I remember reading a horrible article once about how a few unethical places use the wrong chemical (much cheaper), which paralyzes the animal while they suffocate.

I have a friend who may have to put down a cat and I want to ensure that this cat gets the proper chemical administered for euthanasia that is as painless as possible.

Thank you.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 07:28 PM
The only two I know of are Beuthanasia and Beuthasol. These are very humane drugs, as they sedate the animal so they go to sleep as though they are going for surgery, and then it overdoses them so they do not wake up.

You may want to call the clinic she may be taking the kitty to to see what they use...

cyclops
01-30-2010, 07:35 PM
I have had animals euthanised with phenobarbital and had the kind of reaction you are describing. It was not pretty.

I have also had them euthanised with sodium pentathol with little reaction at all.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Evey, you may be thinking of Pentobarbital? Phenobarbital is a seizure medication. Pentobarbital is found in most euthanasia solutions. Though, I don't think that it's the sole ingredient...I've never heard of the other one?

That_girl
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Our clinic uses the same stuff tiffers is talking about.

I agree with her, call the clinic you are planning on going to and ask.

WoofBarkAroo
01-30-2010, 07:49 PM
My vet uses Beuthasol, I believe. In really scared or nervous animals, he'll sometimes give them Valium first to make them really sleepy, before giving them the euthanasia drug. He did this for my mom's 17 y/o dachshund when she requested it.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
We've given sedatives prior, too. In some cases, I think it's more for the owner...and that's perfectly okay. We try our best to make this kind of experience absolutely flawless and as pleasant as it truly could be...

cyclops
01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Evey, you may be thinking of Pentobarbital? Phenobarbital is a seizure medication. Pentobarbital is found in most euthanasia solutions. Though, I don't think that it's the sole ingredient...I've never heard of the other one?

Both are old school. You may not be old enough to know these, but there are still vets who use them.

Sodium Pentathol is used on horses still.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
...hmm, I know Pento. but not the the Pentahol. I don't like large animal medicine, so I steer clear of that area. :p Pentobarbital is still used, just not solely...though, I've never heard of using Phenobarbital as a euthanasia solution...in fact, I'm not sure how it work...it's just a brain sedative...but, well...maybe it would...if you used it enough...

Hmm, now you've got me thinking... :p ...off to learn something new! Thanks, Evey!

WoofBarkAroo
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
We've given sedatives prior, too. In some cases, I think it's more for the owner...and that's perfectly okay. We try our best to make this kind of experience absolutely flawless and as pleasant as it truly could be...

Yeah, I think that's mostly why he does it too, for the owner's comfort. My mom requested something to 'relax' her dachshund, and so he gave her a little valium. My mom still talks about how pleased she was in the peacefulness of her passing. Said she was peaceful and just went to sleep painlessly. Couldn't ask for a better way to go.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 08:20 PM
Hm...I can't find anything saying phenobarb is used, other than people getting the two confused. Though, looking more at it...if you were to use that, you'd need a whopping huge dose...I'm not even sure why you'd choose that over overdosing with something different...? Do you know why you're vet used that, Evey? I am, honestly, interested. I'm not trying to call you out...

cyclops
01-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Hm...I can't find anything saying phenobarb is used, other than people getting the two confused. Though, looking more at it...if you were to use that, you'd need a whopping huge dose...I'm not even sure why you'd choose that over overdosing with something different...? Do you know why you're vet used that, Evey? I am, honestly, interested. I'm not trying to call you out...

I would imagine because it is very cheap. The kill shelter I worked at used it.

tiffers
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
I guess so. It's cheaper than Sodium Pentobarbital. Did it come in big bottles then? It only comes in 1ml bottles now, I think. At least, our's dose. I can't imagine using it...the type of drug it is, it'd take a massive amount to euthanize a small animal because it's not intended for that purpose. What a terrible way to go, too...considering it doesn't knock you out completely...just kind of takes the edge off. It's got to be better than some of the other ways shelters 'dispose' of animals...I am wondering if some shelters still do this with it being off label...

Thanks, Evey. :) Learn something new everyday.

cyclops
01-30-2010, 09:01 PM
It came in very large bottles. Not sure the ml, but way bigger than other meds.

benali72
01-31-2010, 01:13 AM
>>>>> I would imagine because it is very cheap. The kill shelter I worked at used it.

Thanks ... see, that is exactly what I read about. Some places using a drug simply cause it's cheaper even though the experience might be worse for the animal.

Beuthanasia and Beuthasol sound like the best ways to go.

Also, as everyone has pointed out, I will be sure we talk with the vet first.

Thanks, this is very important info to know that probably most of us would want to know at some time or another.

Catslave
01-31-2010, 03:22 AM
I took my 19 year old cat to a vets that wasn't my usual vet this was 6 years ago I knew she was very ill he advised euthanasia I agreed but how he did it was terrible I insisted on staying with my beautiful Krystle as she was so scared I don't what he used but he injected straight into her heart and he hurt her she died in agony with me holding her little paw and crying will never go there again..another cat I had done in a different area years before was completely different he went peacefully it was so different I don't know about types of things used but if I ever have to go again I'm going to be completely informed next time.

Llamalady
01-31-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't blame you at all Catslave. You go through agony in making the decision, and then for it not to go well, well that's just trauma you and your baby should not have to go through.

tiffers
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
The only time we use an intracardiac stick is when there is absolutely no blood pressure...or if the animal is already sleeping (via anesthesia) and no other way is possible. That is horrible...truly, truly horrible...it also something that should NEVER be done in front of an owner! That really makes me angry! :mad: I am sorry that you had to see something like that...it's terrible.

To make things easier on your friend, Benali...request that they put an IV catheter into the kitty's leg. He/She will only need to be poked once, and that way you know all the drug goes in, versus getting 1/2 in and the kitty moves and they need to poke again...catheter is the way to go for the safest route.

Catslave
02-01-2010, 01:31 AM
I will make sure that things are done the right way if I go through it again I was already upset at the time I knew my cat was in a bad way and didn't realise what was going on til it was too late as I was busy looking at her little face and holding her paw I still have nightmares about it I hope she forgives me I let her down she makes it til 19 had a good life she deserved a better end than that. I still miss her.

benali72
02-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Catslave, I'm really sorry you and your cat had such a horrible experience. How terrible.

That's why I started this thread. It's unbelievable to me that some vets are like the one you had, and I sure don't want that experience.

It makes me wonder, too, about why euthanasia techniques are not more widely posted and tracked in the US. Who would ever want such a horrible end for their pet? You'd think this would be more widely publicized so it doesn't happen.

My goal in starting this thread is to be more informed. I am perfectly willing to pay more for a better passing for my little guys if and when their time comes. It's what we owe them as owners I believe, just as we owe them shelter and healthy food. If we can't provide it, we have no business owning them.

squashynose
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I've never heard of using Phenobarbital as a euthanasia solution...in fact, I'm not sure how it work...it's just a brain sedative...but, well...maybe it would...if you used it enough...

We were given a large amount of Phenobarb tablets to kill an aggressive dog. We never actually went through with it though. The Vet said to give him all the tablets so he'd basically go into a coma and not wake up.

Wiztherewoz
02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
We were given a large amount of Phenobarb tablets to kill an aggressive dog. We never actually went through with it though. The Vet said to give him all the tablets so he'd basically go into a coma and not wake up.

When the vet was explaining this process to me for my dog, I think he said that he would need to be given the tablets every day for a couple of weeks in advance for it to be in his system enough for the OD to be effective. Have I got that right?

squashynose
02-04-2010, 02:36 PM
When the vet was explaining this process to me for my dog, I think he said that he would need to be given the tablets every day for a couple of weeks in advance for it to be in his system enough for the OD to be effective. Have I got that right?

Oh yeah, forgot that bit. And I didn't want to say it was for him.

Wiztherewoz
02-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, you were talking about Frank? :p I assumed he'd advised it for another one. Ah, well. Thanks for the discretion anyways. (Me and my big mouth.)