PDA

View Full Version : Can small dogs get bloat or something similar?

mirrasmom
06-29-2004, 12:47 PM
A while ago when my Mirra was shaking and hiding in corners, her doctor mentioned that her belly felt "tight", but didnt seem too concerned about it. He has since decided that she had urine crystals (eventhough he didnt really find any in her urine, but he did see "deposits" in her urine which made him come to this conclusion). We have since changed her food to a prescription and shes been great for about a month, but just yesterday, she ate in the morning and THEN we went on a walk (we normally walk afterwards) About 30 mins later I noticed that she was shaking a bit again. I picked her up and noticed that her stomach did feel a little tight, but she didnt yelp or anything if I applied pressure to it. I had to go to work for a bit and when I came back, she was fine as far as I could tell. I looked up this symptom on the internet and of course came across bloat or gastric torsion.

She is a cocker spaniel - is it possible for her to get bloat or something similar that maybe is not as serious as bloat is in deep chested dogs? Even with a breed that is not as suseptible, should I still be sure not to feed her before we go on walks?

starr
06-29-2004, 01:14 PM
my sister in-law said that it is possible that the dog could be bloated. she said that it is never good to feed a dog a meal then walk him/her. that you must give him at least one hour to digest. it is more common in large breeds, but small breeds can bloat to. hope this helps.

mirrasmom
06-29-2004, 02:23 PM
So, she could just be "bloated" as a general term, but not have Bloat - the actual condition, correct?

This was my theory... I havent even consulted her Doc yet since she really does seem fine today and we have an appt. on Saturday. He thinks I'm nuts, I am sure, but I will bring this up with him.

Thanks, Starr

~Carey

starr
06-29-2004, 07:20 PM
she said it is more likely from feeding then walking right away. she has worked with animals for years. so, i trust her judgement. hopefully, that was all it was. good luck.

starr
06-30-2004, 10:15 AM
how is she? did you take her to the vet?

mirrasmom
06-30-2004, 04:42 PM
She appears to be fine. Like I said, we have an appointment at the vet on Saturday (a follow up for her urine crystals to ensure the deposits have gone away). I checked her belly this morning and it didnt appear to be as firm as it was on Monday morning. We went on our walk again today and she was doing great - running around chasing birds and things like she always does.

I talked to my little niece (who is 6 and came to visit our house on Sunday) and she said she gave Mirra "3 or 5 treats". Her treats are Snausages which the vet told us to cut down how many we were giving her b/c that can cause her urine Ph level to rise. She usually gets one per day since the vet told us to cut down. I suppose its possible that she was feeling ill from the Snausage overdose....I really dont know. She seems perfectly normal today.

Thanks so much for asking. By the way, I saw your babies on another part of this board - they are adorable! :) I'll have to get a picture of my little one to share so everyone can see that shes the cutest cocker spaniel in the world!

starr
06-30-2004, 06:34 PM
that is great news. i am glad that she is doing better. my dogs get snausage overdose a bit too. maybe we should start a "snausage anonymous" program. i can't wait to see your babies. anyway, that is great. :p

Fosterllama
07-23-2004, 07:43 PM
I always say to get a second opinion from your vet if you have any doubts. I would also recommend and abdominal X-ray which can check for bladder stones (sometime this will cause crystals or deposits and needs surgery)This will also show you if she is constipated or has a mass or anything else in her abdomen. P.S. snausages are not very good for dogs at all. They contain alot of food coloring and fat and contain propylene glycol. Try a healthier treat.

Levi
07-25-2004, 01:35 PM
Gastric Torsion can happen in any breed, though it is most common in "deep chested" breeds. Cockers are a breed known to develop this problem.

GT info:

http://freespace.virgin.net/leo.link/news/

Dealing with Your Dog's Digestive Dilemmas

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1925,subcat-PETS.html

mirrasmom
07-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I did ask my vet about this and he said that any dog technically can develop gastric torsion (or bloat), but that Mirra's firm abdomen definetly wasnt caused from that. It tends to happen any time she is nervous b/c I think she tenses up like many humans do and its more her stomach muscles that are firm than her internal stomach (if that makes any sense). She had abdominal xrays right away when I noticed that something was wrong when she was shaking badly. He said there were no stones but that she could be on the way to developing them. He put her on IVD Control Formula food that is specially made for dogs with stones or crystals b/c of its low Ph. Then about a month later, we went back to the vet to see if the food was helping her Ph level (which was too high originally) and now it was too low. So we are currently mixing the Control Formula and regular kibbles and he said that should even her out just perfectly. So far, it seems to be doing the job and she is doing great.

Yes, Fosterllama - we have learned that about snausages. We have found a new much more natural treat that she loves and will stick to that from now on. However, we still have to call them snausages b/c that is the word that she knows for treat :)