PDA

View Full Version : Cat treats are making my cat puke

JustBeth
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi, I haven't posted in a while, but has anyone else had problems with the Whiskas Temptations cat treats ? My cat loves them but then he pukes after eating them..I don't get it b/c I only give him like 3 or 4 and they are pretty small. He only throws up after eating those, yet he still loves them and always wants them. Tonite I finally thew them in the trash.

I don't understand why they'd be making him throw up, yet nothing else does.

Anyone else notice this in their cat ?

tiffers
03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
...is he hoovering them down? Or taking time to chew and swallow? Catillac doesn't have a problem with them. She gets a few every now and then.

All digestive systems are different, your kitty's system may not be able to handle them. Have you tried other treats?

JustBeth
03-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Yeah he does hoover them down, so I guess thats why he is puking. I feed him a half can of wet food in the evening and he doesn't puke after eating that..also he has some dry out for him to nibble on durring the day, and that doesn't make him puke either, it's just the treats

tiffers
03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
...try giving him just one at a time. One or two a day, period. See what that does for him.

lynnnicole
04-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Please forgive me as this is slightly off topic from the original post of problems with a particular treat but I just wanted to get the word out on the cat puking problem (and resolution) we found.

We'd been feeding our cat Royal Canin Siamese 38 to reduce his puking(food fairly often). It seemed to work pretty well. However, our other cat got cancer. In her last days, to make things less messy, we switched to crystals from clumping clay litter. This made a HUGE difference in regard to puking. Now my siamese cat can eat any food. I still feed him nutritionally good food but it doesn't have to be a particular type. First we thought maybe he was allergic to our cat that passed, but that was silly seeming, --it finally occurred to us about the litter type change! We tested this and it really makes a difference. Give it a try and pass the word if it makes a difference! I hve been telling anyone I can!

katiem
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
One of my cats also has the same problem with the same treats, and she also tends to get them stuck inbetween her two front teeth. I found that the soft versions of the treats work best.

lindsayanng
04-28-2008, 10:05 PM
lynnicole, that is someinterested info. i know that some litters can cause a load of issues, but i have NEVER heard of it causing puking, although it makes sense because the dust can get on their coat and then they groom it off.. I think that would be more of a chronic puking though, and not just right after treats.. but thanks for sharing that info!!

as for your cat's puking after treats, mine do to. i has nothing to do with the treat, or the size of the treat, but the fact that they wolf it down and it makes them hack. My cats were doing it ALL THE TIME with the POUNCE treats. I am not familiar with the treats you are feeding, are they soft or "crunchy?" I feed only the soft ones so i can break them in half and give them half at a time.. this prolongs our little treat bonding time and slows them down from wolfing a whole treat down.

also, do you only have one cat? Any other pets in the house??

a lot of times, animals will wolf down food or treats because they were worried about another animal stealing it.

kittycrazy
04-29-2008, 05:28 AM
All of my cats have the same problem, no matter what type of treat, they throw them up. I have completely stopped giving them treats, but instead as a treat now, I give them the water from the tuna cans I open, only the no salt kind. This was a suggestion from my vet. I don't do it all the time but once in a while. The other treat I give them is the dried fish flakes. I'm sure you have seen them in the store. They can't get enough of this stuff, and it doesn't make them sick. Try these 2 things out, and let me know what happens and how it works out.

lindsayanng
04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
i bought those dried fish flakes being totally grossed out but THOUGHT my cats would love them.. i figured if i can give meal worms to my gliders, i can give anchovies to my cat.. well they turned their nose up at them.. i couldnt believe it!!!

there are PLEANTY of safe human foods, like the tuna water, that are very safe and good for cats. Some plain yogurt is a healthy treat, or a small dollop of cream cheese.. and ofcoarse TUNA

special
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
my cats don't like the bonita flakes either, but there are different quality brands. Kitty Kaviar and Ver-chew-all are supposed to be the best.

Regarding the Wiskas treats, I bleive those were in the origanl recall so if the treat package is old, go to the recall site and chek the numbers.

the only other thing I have to add is, if treats make your cats vomit, stop giving them treats.

lindsayanng
04-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I agree.. if the suggested methods dont fix it (for me it was just breaking the treat in half) then dont give the packaged treats and just boil some chicken and cut it small (we ALWAYS have boiled chicken for our pets) or tuna or something else that isnt as processed.

special
04-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I also keep a supply of cooked white breast chicken, cut in tablespoon size pieces, in my freezer at all times. Cut small like that it's easy to thaw (just set the chunk in a dish that has had hot water run over it for a few minutes)

I also use it for sickness, since I freeze the chicken while it's warm it has a lot of moisture stuck to in in the form of ice crystals. I shred a frozen chunk (I always shred the chicken, not feed it in pieces) and the sick one eats the filaments, and gets the added moisture from the ice crystals.