PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop or prevent my puppy from biting me??

kathy_aa25
04-06-2004, 07:14 AM
:confused: My little dog (Siberian Husky -- 3 months old) always likes to biting me andother members in the family. Though we scold him or hit him (not so hard, of dourse) or even punish him , he keeps doing so. In fact, he does have his toys(a lot, actually). Why he keeps chewing my arms? What can I do?? And if I do nothing, this kind of behaviour will continue until he dies or grows up???

Squawksx3
04-06-2004, 11:23 AM
Hi and welcome :)

Try keeping toys available at all times, when he starts to bite your arm, redirect him to a toy... you definately want to discourage him biting you, even if its play biting. Its natural for puppies to bite when they play.. they started out that way play biting their litter mates ;) . Good luck!.

bisquik
04-06-2004, 11:56 AM
Doesn't make sense to try to condition out an aggressive behavior with aggression, does it? Essentially, you are saying "When I don't like what you do, I let you know in a physical way." I did that at first too, when my puppy was younger, and it absolutely didn't work. He either thought I was playing or he would get really upset and lose interest in playing at all. So....whenever he'd try to bite, I'd withdraw my hand and say an over-exaggerated "Oooowwww!" and pretend like it really hurt. So he'd try again, much softer, and I'd do it again. Now, when we are rough-housing, he stops the second I say ow. Maybe that combined with replacing your arm with a toy would work. Give it a shot-you and your puppy will probably like it much more than physical punishment.

Python
04-13-2004, 03:49 PM
If he keeps biting what i did is when my pup started to bit me hard i would bite him back.And ask did it hurt i would bite him hard enough that he would scream out a cry that broke him.Thats what my cusion did to his bull dog to it works great to

bisquik
04-14-2004, 10:23 AM
I don't think you need to bite him hard enough that he cries. I have bitten my dog back a couple times, if he chewed my hand I would LIGHTLY nibble his paw. Dogs somehow know that's unnatural, and he gave me a weird, scared look and stopped chewing/biting me...for the time being at least...try a combination of things, eventually your dog will get the picture.

luckiestlady
04-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Ihave a 4 month old and having the same problem , golden retriever and bites EVERYTHING. Im sooo tired of saying NO, BAD...!!! Redirecting him to toys does not help. The vet said it doesnt hurt to spank their butt and say No. But it makes him all the more aggressive. Im at my wits end with this puppy cause he has hurt my boyfriends 12 year old daughter by playfully biting her. He is so aggressive. Newspaper doesnt scare him. Rocks in a can , shaking them....thats a joke. I really dont know what the answer is. I finally give up and put him outside or in his crate even tho they say dont use the crate as a punishment. I dont know what else to do. Im with ya!

Cat&Dog mom
04-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Well this may sound a little crude but Jake was a little tyrant when he was just 8 weeks old, our vets advice was to make him bite himself, how you do that is place you hand on the top of their muzzle and squezze gently or roll however you want to say it his lips onto his teeth when he's biting therefore he bites his own lips, I don't know if I'm explaining this well enough I hope so, Jake learned pretty quick not to bite any more. And we always associated that with the command NO BITE stearnly. It may not work with every dog, just a suggestion. GOOD LUCK!

happyhuskies
02-14-2009, 03:08 PM
i have a ten week old husky whose exactly the same so you are not alone, i have read quite a bit on this subject and they all say positively redirect his attention to toys, however this appears to work momentarily but then he'l be off again, its important you have every member of your house doing this, mine now has started to shred paper and toilet rolls, i keep thinking of a muzzle but hate the contraptions, any thoughts on that?

happyhuskies
02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
ps im scared he will eat so much paper he will hurt himself?

Husky06
02-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Ihave a 4 month old and having the same problem , golden retriever and bites EVERYTHING. Im sooo tired of saying NO, BAD...!!! Redirecting him to toys does not help. The vet said it doesnt hurt to spank their butt and say No. But it makes him all the more aggressive. Im at my wits end with this puppy cause he has hurt my boyfriends 12 year old daughter by playfully biting her. He is so aggressive. Newspaper doesnt scare him. Rocks in a can , shaking them....thats a joke. I really dont know what the answer is. I finally give up and put him outside or in his crate even tho they say dont use the crate as a punishment. I dont know what else to do. Im with ya!

Your vet doesn't understand dogs and dog psychology much....then again most vets really don't. Spanking is what we do to humans, we shouldn't humanize dogs anyway. A wolf pack....a wolf bites the muzzle of the pup when they persist on being a pain. Spanking a dog....just like someone pushing a dog with their hand only intensifies the problem, they will play/fight back more. Different things like doing obedience with him, hand feeding, walking him....all create a bond with a dog. Redirecting can help with some dogs.....but not all. 100% positive reinforcement does not always work either like many behaviorist suggest. Kathy....and HappyHuskies I'll try to shoot you a private message late tonight. I'm familiar with these little monsters lol. I'm leaving for a work in a little while so I'll try to send one tonight or tomorrow to both of you guys.

Update luckiestlady I'll try to send you one also later.

special
02-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Your vet doesn't understand dogs and dog psychology much....then again most vets really don't. Spanking is what we do to humans, we shouldn't humanize dogs anyway. A wolf pack....a wolf bites the muzzle of the pup when they persist on being a pain. Spanking a dog....just like someone pushing a dog with their hand only intensifies the problem, they will play/fight back more. Different things like doing obedience with him, hand feeding, walking him....all create a bond with a dog. Redirecting can help with some dogs.....but not all. 100% positive reinforcement does not always work either like many behaviorist suggest. Kathy....and HappyHuskies I'll try to shoot you a private message late tonight. I'm familiar with these little monsters lol. I'm leaving for a work in a little while so I'll try to send one tonight or tomorrow to both of you guys.

Update luckiestlady I'll try to send you one also later.

The original thread is five years old so you may not reach the earlier posters.

I'm sure you can help the new member though. I'm not a dog person but wanted to remind happyhuskies that her dog is just a baby and it takes a lot of work, love and patience for babies to learn. I'm sure you will give excellent advice about how to train the pup.

Husky06
02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
The original thread is five years old so you may not reach the earlier posters.

I'm sure you can help the new member though. I'm not a dog person but wanted to remind happyhuskies that her dog is just a baby and it takes a lot of work, love and patience for babies to learn. I'm sure you will give excellent advice about how to train the pup.

rotfl haha......I didn't realize it was that old....I just noticed a new comment on this post. Thanks for informing me on that.

xpalaboyx
02-16-2009, 01:14 AM
biting is a sign of aggression and should be corrected as early as you can...

Macawpower58
02-16-2009, 02:42 AM
biting is a sign of aggression and should be corrected as early as you can...

Puppies biting is not a sign of aggression. Please don't make such statements, a new puppy owner might read this, and become worried.

Husky06
02-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Puppies biting is not a sign of aggression. Please don't make such statements, a new puppy owner might read this, and become worried.

lol, the Mambo grandpups I posted pictures of one time would be extremely aggressive according to her then. Biting sleeves, pant legs, back of shirt, ect ect. It's typically either prey drive or just puppy antics. Not aggression at all.....I did forget to send this user a pm to help on the subject.

FredsMom
03-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I read bisquiks review. I know this is a bit late but I did the same thing. Id say OW and then Gentle immediately when I withdrew my hand and would stop playing. He figured out if he got too rough with me I wouldn't play.

When puppies play together they let each other know its too rough by whining (verbal indicators) so your dog will probably listen to something similar. Yip and firmly, not angrily, and CALMLY, tell him OW and then give him a gentle command (Soft, Easy, Gentle, etc).

Now when Fred and I rough around all I say is gentle and he stops nipping.

CKelly976
03-04-2009, 06:39 PM
When sassy gets too agressive (little dog I know) I'll tell her no, and if that doesn't work I repeat myself and lay her on her side and hold her there until she calms down. I don't do it angrily, or agressively I just let her know that I am still mom and I still rule. you just cannot be hyped up in any way when you do it.

in that respect Sassy is shown to submit to my request for her to stop.

I will sometimes put her in a chill out spot too, but usually I don't need to she calms down when told.

horsesinusa
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
We have alot of chihuahua that did that, when they do that make a sound like that a sad puppy. it works for us.

HollyR
05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a little dog that is too protective of me and bites at people's feet if they come to close to me. I thought it was kinda endearing until my best friend told me she hated my dog. Anyway I saw this article with tips for preventing dog bites. Thought it might be helpful. http://my.arfie.com/profiles/blogs/national-dog-bite-prevention

Macawpower58
05-19-2009, 03:45 PM
I know this thread started 5 years ago, but I have to now laugh. I'm in hot water with my little furred shark. I'm feeling badly for anyone having to go through what I am! And I asked for exactly what I got, while most owners never wanted such a thing as a furred buzzsaw.

It's frustrating, painful, and annoying as all get out. I keep telling myself, "she'll grow out of it", or "It'll calm down once she's done teething". She does full speed fly-bys with her mouth wide open, all those tiny sharp puppy teeth aimed at my legs, hands, or anything else she can snag as she goes flying by. lol...my poor daughter runs and jumps on the couch to get away from her. My daughter is 21! Now she's learned to jump on the couch (which I'm discouraging) so Kelly has no real escape anymore. She told me "mom, this is not my favorite dog", roflmao....

Husky06
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
I know this thread started 5 years ago, but I have to now laugh. I'm in hot water with my little furred shark. I'm feeling badly for anyone having to go through what I am! And I asked for exactly what I got, while most owners never wanted such a thing as a furred buzzsaw.

It's frustrating, painful, and annoying as all get out. I keep telling myself, "she'll grow out of it", or "It'll calm down once she's done teething". She does full speed fly-bys with her mouth wide open, all those tiny sharp puppy teeth aimed at my legs, hands, or anything else she can snag as she goes flying by. lol...my poor daughter runs and jumps on the couch to get away from her. My daughter is 21! Now she's learned to jump on the couch (which I'm discouraging) so Kelly has no real escape anymore. She told me "mom, this is not my favorite dog", roflmao....

LOL, oh my. Anubis is similar, but he is finally a little more toy oriented. He use to chase your pant legs if you even moved a step and would hang on for dear life hahaha, there was no escaping the demon. We still have times where if I run too much he tosses the toy out of his mouth and goes for the pant legs....he has one HARD full bite too that will make you bleed badly...and this is with a smaller mouth and missing teeth/chipped baby k9s...I'd hate for it to be a big mouth, more power/big adult teeth. Anubis use to be the exact same way though, but mostly going for pant legs since I don't wear long sleeves that much. My dad sounds about like your daughter. Basically I don't get the receiving end of him that much, but my dad gets it a lot, and whoever else is around if they run around oh my lol. He isn't as bad about it now, but he's a prey monster. Hopefully we'll get lucky on this and the problems will go away. Whatever the very very back teeth are called, they are pushing into the gums now in the back of his mouth. You can't see the teeth, but you can see where the gums are pushed upwards more.....gotta be painful. I love your sentence "And I asked for exactly what I got, while most owners never wanted such a thing as a furred buzzsaw" Don't you just love working line German Shepherds? LOL I wonder though, do showlines ever show this intensity as puppies?

Macawpower58
05-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Hey Husky, I can see you know where I'm coming from! As for the show lines showing such intensity, not usually, though you can get a good one if you look hard enough. My two, were nowhere's near Moska's level. Intense and tenacious, describes my girl to a tee.

I'm surprised Anubis just started teething. So did Moska, I also see the far back ones starting to break through. I wonder if the larger pups start teething later than smaller ones like Moska?

As for her run-bys, what makes them bad is Moska is like Tigger. She's built on top of a spring. So every bite is done way up off of the ground. She jumps and bounces, thus catching parts of me that I don't expect, nor appreciate! I'm trying to teach her to keep herself grounded, without much luck so far.

At least Moska does not bite down hard as Anubis does. She's more of a snag and rip, than a full mouth bite.

xpalaboyx
05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
These kind of behavior should be corrected as early as possible... Whenever your pet bites your hand... firmly say no. when my dog was in that stage i gave her some dog toys (http://petstreetmall.com/Dog-Toys/457.html) to play with.

Husky06
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Hey Husky, I can see you know where I'm coming from! As for the show lines showing such intensity, not usually, though you can get a good one if you look hard enough. My two, were nowhere's near Moska's level. Intense and tenacious, describes my girl to a tee.

I'm surprised Anubis just started teething. So did Moska, I also see the far back ones starting to break through. I wonder if the larger pups start teething later than smaller ones like Moska?

As for her run-bys, what makes them bad is Moska is like Tigger. She's built on top of a spring. So every bite is done way up off of the ground. She jumps and bounces, thus catching parts of me that I don't expect, nor appreciate! I'm trying to teach her to keep herself grounded, without much luck so far.

At least Moska does not bite down hard as Anubis does. She's more of a snag and rip, than a full mouth bite.

Shes four weeks younger than Anubis isn't she? Anubis does have a few of his front middle teeth in, but thats the only adult teeth he has yet. If he keeps growing at this rate he'll be a monster lol, I'm hoping he'll be around 85 lbs, I'm not sure what the weight is on Mambo. The only thing I wish was different on Mambo was that he had a bigger head lol. I think Anubis is going to be his clone, even with head size too, looking at Mambo the head in some pictures just didn't look proportional to his body...not as big as it should be. Anubis is like that right now. Which is fine, I'll accept it either way as it obviously doesn't affect Mambos working ability in any way. Moska like Tigger, haha I could see that. That reminds me..Pam says Zelda temperament reminds her of Tigger lol, but Pam sent me pictures of Zelda doing bite work. Her helper friend from Germany is now here. I may post the pictures on here, but they aren't the greatest, kind of farther away then I liked. I can't wait til Zelda comes back here, though I wonder if she'll remember me. She left at I think 8 months. I'm curious, I think Lyle would help me in the work, I haven't talked to him about it, but I would like to have Anubis biting on a leg sleeve too....I know that isn't involved in SchH, but I would like to do that with him also later on. I wonder if that would encourage him chasing and biting at the legs/ankles more though lol when we're not doing bitework.

Macawpower58
05-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Anubis is going to be a big boy, you can see his potential in your photos. I doubt Moska will go much over 50 pounds, 60 at the most. I think Mambo has a fine head. I don't see that's it's not proportioned correctly.

Moska was born Feb 8th, so that makes her 15 weeks I believe. When was Anubis born?

When is Zelda coming back? She'll be coming back to you? Do post any photos you have. As for the leg bites transferring to everyday homelife, I don't see that as a problem, all the sleeve bites my dogs have done have never transferred to any kind of biting at home, or anywhere else.

Husky06
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Anubis is going to be a big boy, you can see his potential in your photos. I doubt Moska will go much over 50 pounds, 60 at the most. I think Mambo has a fine head. I don't see that's it's not proportioned correctly.

Moska was born Feb 8th, so that makes her 15 weeks I believe. When was Anubis born?

When is Zelda coming back? She'll be coming back to you? Do post any photos you have. As for the leg bites transferring to everyday homelife, I don't see that as a problem, all the sleeve bites my dogs have done have never transferred to any kind of biting at home, or anywhere else.

I'll post the pictures of Mambo I'm talking about. Theres one where he is sitting and his head just looks small lol, compared to his body. Though it does look proportional in Mambos stacking pic. Mid 50s wouldn't be too bad for a female, kind of smaller, but not too bad. Theres a litter due next month that.....if I had unlimited time/money I would be getting a puppy out of lol. It's out of Aaron vom Poppitz, DDR, and then a Czech imported female Jezinka Anrebri. though neither are unlimited so I won't be getting one lol. I don't know how some of these people have so many dogs, I've got four here...three always run together, work together, pretty much do everything together which is fine, and then Anubis. I couldn't imagine some people having 8 or 9 dogs who are worked with separately, and I know a lot of "professional" trainers spend only 30 minutes a day with each dog....at least the ones I had talked to, Vickie Lanig, I'm not sure if you remember her. Anyway, Zelda will be coming back probably the end of this year or very early next year. She wanted to title her first, and then she will be having a litter and keeping a female out of it, and then Zelda would be coming back. I'll post the pics later today of her working, hopefully she will get some closer ones soon though. Oh, and Anubis was born Jan 3rd.

Kkye
05-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Shane and Becky, I absolutely love reading about your crazy driven puppies.

Macawpower58
05-20-2009, 12:53 PM
Madison, they are a riot! Last night my little bitty pup took on two older pups (playing) twice her size. She came out on top with both of them. The two older ones weren't sure whether to play or scuffle at first, and Moska just dived in between them, declaring it's play time! So, they played.

It's not how big the dog is, but the heart inside. Moska is seeming to have plenty of heart! She's a little keg of dynamite. I do have to say though, keeping dynamite in your living room, can get explosive.

AnimalStars
06-02-2009, 10:52 PM
You can easily train your dog from biting you. This is the perfect time to commence the training since your puppy is still young and open to instruction. Since biting can be an inevitable activity for puppies, give your pup a toy it can freely chew on. Never punish your puppy when it tries to bite you or chew on other objects. The best thing for you to do is verbalize and act out your disappointment. Consistently repeat your instructions as a part of the training.

Kedda
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
My puppy is also quite a biter. We will be doing fine for a while, and then he starts biting. He is 11 weeks old. We substitute toys, do the "owwww" thing when he bites, have resorted to shaking the can of rocks, and nothing is working. He is a herding type puppy and likes to go behind you and bite you in the ankles, and it hurts, or he rips your pants! About the only thing I'm doing right now is leaving him outside and going inside when he bites, putting him out if he is in and biting. When we yell "owww" he gets excited and wants to bite more. Any ideas?

alcoth
06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
You guys are too funny!

Keira is nipping quite a bit and usually responds well to whatever type of correction I use. She argues a bit but that's fine.

Here's a funny bit though - playing with one of her teething toys this morning while sitting on the floor and got it a bit too close to my inner thigh.... *chomp*... bout sent me out of my shoes =p.

Couldn't fault her for that one though, she got the toy along with a chunk of leg lol.