PDA

View Full Version : cat SWALLOWED a sewing needle!

mamartin
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
My cat, Derek, swallowed a sewing needle just before midnight on Sat., Jan. 26th. I called the emergency vet clinic. They said to bring him in for x-rays, which would have been a 1 hour trip. I decided to ask for symptoms of a problem, because the cat seemed fine -- except I knew he had swallowed a needle. I asked the vet if I could feed him to put something in his stomach with the needle to cushion it. He said that would put bulk around it. I fed him immediately. I watched him all night long! He seemed fine. I fed him the next morning, and at lunch, and in the early afternoon. He finally "pooped" at 7:00 p.m. on Sun., 1-27, 19 hours after swallowing it. The needle was in it --vertical and imbedded. The stool was normal -- no blood, etc...

I called my regular vet today (Mon., 1-28). They couldn't believe it! They said he sounds fine, but they recorded his incident in his records, just in case. :p

Ltlpistol
01-28-2008, 08:07 PM
What did you feed him?

mamartin
01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
His regular food - dry Purina Kitten Chow. I really didn't think to give him anything different. I was in such a state of panic!:eek:

Ltlpistol
01-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Well, at least it ended ok.

nanamouse
01-28-2008, 08:26 PM
OMG, how scary! I'm glad he passed it with no injuries.

PetLove818
01-29-2008, 07:05 PM
im so glad for u that ur cat was ok

Julia423
01-29-2008, 07:22 PM
You and Derek were very lucky, it doesn't always turn out so well.

mamartin
01-29-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks!
I spent ALL of Sunday afternoon/evening reading in the internet about other cats that had swallowed needles and/or pins. All the things I found said major surgery and/or death. I cried and cried and cried. I was going to take him to my vet on Monday when he passed it on Sunday night!

I had told my Sunday school class about it and I called a friend of mine (another animal lover and rescuer). She said she would pray for him. When I called her, she said that she prayed and prayed that the needle would travel straight down!

Derek is a rescue of sorts. My son got him out from under a "hunting" jeep that was in our yard. Our lab, Alley, heard him meowing and tried to get him. My son spent 3 hours trying to catch him and finally did. We took him to the vet (he had an upper respir. infection); he weighed 1 lb. 3 oz. and was maybe MAYBE 6 weeks old. I live in the country far off the road; we have no idea how he got under that jeep and by our Lab to begin with. He could not even eat dry food. That was in June 2007. He is now an inside cat with 7 lives left! He used one the night we found him under that jeep and one the night he swallowed the sewing needle.
:D

jsberson
09-24-2008, 09:19 AM
So my wife thinks our cat Isaac swallowed a sewing needle last night. I googled "cat ate sewing needle" and got to this site... neet-o :)

Now the question is "what to do?" As soon as my wife saw him swipe a thread with a needle from her sewing kit, we immediately took chase. We were both on the bed and my wife was doing some hemming, so Isaac thought this was a good time to play with something dangerous... typical cat, no?

From the time that he swiped the thread until the time that we saw that it was no longer in his mouth, I cannot imagine that Isaac had enough time to swallow it. He was basically on the run the whole time, and a sewing needle is not something you can down in a second or two... not that I tried to swallow one myself, although we could experiment on Noah, our other cat... never mind.

Anyway, I'm going to check Isaac's stool today to see if I can find either blood (that would be bad) or the needle (that would be good)... or maybe nothing at all (not sure if that's bad or good). I looked high and low... ok he's a cat, so mostly low... for the needle and thread but to no avail. Either Isaac indeed swallowed it in an instant, or it vanished into thin air, or my wife needs to get her vision checked. I really hope it vanished... we don't have vision coverage again until next year.

I'll post again soon to give an update.... thanks!! Jordan

nanamouse
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Have you looked absolutely everywhere he was for the needle? I know they are fast, but it does seem more likely that he dropped it than swallowed it with the two of you watching him. If you have thick carpet I learned the hard way (walking barefoot) that a needle can hide very well in the pile. Maybe runnig a magnet around would locate it?

Generaly cats are not as lucky as the above mentioned kitty. If he were mine I would be at the vet first thing for an x ray, if it meant not paying the electric bill or whatever. I hate to imagine all the damage a sewing needle could do on it's way through his system.

Please let us know how it works out.

jsberson
09-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, I went to check on Isaac and there was a long thread hanging out of his rectum. He's not showing any discomfort, so I cut off the excess thread to avoid either of the cats playing with it or stepping on it, etc.

I remember my older cat used to eat tinsel off the Christmas tree, so I looked up "cat eating tinsel" on google some time ago and came across an article that suggests to never remove it from the cat's rectum... just cut off the part that's hanging out and wait for him to eliminate. Trying to remove it, even slowly and gently, can cause rupture.

I called the animal hospital, and they said that since there are no open appointments, I would have to pay $120 on top of the consult... which would likely prove meaningless since the needle is probably embedded in stool anyway. He's a fat cat... he's always eating.

I'll let you all know once I find the present in the litter box.

Thanks again! Jordan

P.S. There was no blood anywhere on him or on any stool in the litterbox today, or I would have taken him in to the animal hospital for sure.

Pookster
09-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Holy cow, if one of mine had swallowed a needle, I would have had canaries and got her/him to the emergency vet LOL! So very glad this turned out so very well for you!
Purrs,
Pookster

Yve*
09-25-2008, 01:21 AM
mamartin, Thank God that Derek is ok! As others said, you were very lucky!

Jsberson, I don't know that I would wait, even if it is expensive. I would be a nervous wreck.:eek:
In situations like these, my concern really isn't money. I hope everything turns out alright.
Please keep us posted.

jsberson
09-25-2008, 03:20 AM
It's nearly 5:00 am and the thread remains. If at the next trip to the box it's not gone, I'll bring him in for sure. He's not showing any signs of discomfort, so it's pretty safe to say the needle is embedded in stool and will come out shortly. I'll keep you posted.

jsberson
09-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I am happy to report that Mr. Isaac and the needle have finally separated without any injury to either party... although I'm sure the needle is not terribly happy with spending a day and a half going through Isaac's digestive system, and being embedded in dung for a good part of that time. The needle will find its final resting place somewhere in the wonderful world of wherever it is that toilet water flows through after it is flushed. And now my wife will hopefully keep the sewing kit closed as long as she wants to avoid further anguish on my part.

Take care!!! Jordan

dlaura
09-25-2008, 01:57 PM
I am glad to hear this all worked out and Mr. Isaac is now needle free! Thanks for the update.

Julia423
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Glad to hear that this story, too, had a happy ending.
Our cat, Bumper, swallowed a needle with thread, years ago. I had him in with the emergency vet within minutes. Good thing...that needle had stuck in the back of his throat. It was an easy removal (good thing for all of us) but it could have been worse.

Glad all turned out well.

Yve*
09-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Thats great news!!
I'm happy for both you, your wife but most of all Isaac.:)

Thanks for letting us know.

jsberson
09-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks to everyone for following this thread... Needless to say my wife and I are very happy that the incident passed sew quickly without incident.

Puns intended...

Julia423
09-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for following this thread... Needless to say my wife and I are very happy that the incident passed sew quickly without incident.

Puns intended...

Oh, aren't you just the stich!:p

Nomi
01-06-2010, 09:15 PM
My cat, an american short-hair, is about 1.5 years old. A few days ago he swallowed a sewing needle with the cord together. It was in very late night, my wife suggested that we might have to sent him to pet hospital for emergency treatment. I was in panic and searched internet for information, fortunately I found this post. Instead of going to see vet, we bought a lot of canned food from store and feed him continuously (our cat loves it like drug!), about 24 hours after, I found the needle in his stool!

Another successful sample, BIG thanks to all of you who contributed to this post!

special
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Nomi.

I am glad the people who posted here, and your cat, had good luck, but if it were me, regardless of time of day or night or distance I would be on my way to the vet without any hesitation.

I don't believe in wait in see for something so serious. I just don't see risking it, a cat swallowing a needle, based on a few happy outcomes reported in a pet forum.

Lyka_01
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
OMG, how scary! I'm glad he passed it with no injuries.

Definitely scary...
He is very lucky...
passing i that kind of incident...

Miss Vicky
01-07-2010, 02:00 AM
While I'm glad to hear of these success stories, I strongly caution against anyone with a similar problem to postpone veterinary care.

Sharp objects like needles can puncture the intestinal wall and cause feces to leak into the abdomen. The thread, too, is extremely dangerous. String and other similar objects (known as linear foreign bodies in veterinary terms) often don't pass normally through the instestinal tract. Instead, they get caught up and stop moving. The intestines will then continue to try to move the object, but end up bunched up like an accordian. In most cases, the affected section of intestine must be removed, either because the tissue is too damaged to be salvaged or because any attempt to pull the string out would perforate the intestinal wall.

I've seen many pets come in to the clinics I've worked at with this type of problem and actually had it happen to one of my own pets. The cat I had growing up swallowed a fish hook and a length of fishing line, which had to be surgically removed along with a portion of his intestine. He survived the incident, but it was touch and go for awhile.

So please, if something like this happens, seek veterinary care as soon as possible. Don't leave your pet's life to chance.

Llamalady
01-16-2010, 06:03 AM
When I got my wisdom teeth out and was in recovery - they were all impacted and I had to actually go to surgery to get them out - my cat Linus (RIP) found a sewing needle in the floor and proceeded to try to eat it. What is it about the shiny that makes those cats go crazy?? It's not like it's natural, I mean there are no shiny mice and rats and birds out there! Raaaaaaaaaar! He survived that because I grabbed it from him in time, but that alone scared me silly. I can't believe how worried I would be if he had actually swallowed it! You are so brave!

amay
02-26-2010, 08:57 PM
My cat was vomiting all day. 1st food then dry heave / stomach acid. He wouldn't eat or drink and started drooping his neck. I saw similar symptoms in my late cat Joe when he had kidney failure due to bad cat food(fancy feast). I immediately brought him to the vet. He has a 105 temperature. They told me to leave him overnight to conduct test $800.00 blood and x-ray. They just called me and found a needle and string in the x-ray. They said it could puncture the intestine and that creates huge problems/serious bile infection if there is any leakage. He is going to go under surgery in an hour $3000.00. I wish he could poop it and now I feel like I made a bad choice because he might need his intestine clipped if the surgery doesnt go well. Pooping just seems more natural, but since he has the fever I feel this is best. I just feel the vet could do more harm in the process of opening him up. What if it is not even in the intestine, maybe even poke through the outside. That would be horrible. I guess we will wait and see, but sadly my cat Wheat is my best friend. He purrs immediately when you pick him up, he comes to my whistle or anytime i say his name, he kisses me each night. I hope he will be okay. :'' (:confused:

special
02-26-2010, 09:01 PM
My cat was vomiting all day. 1st food then dry heave / stomach acid. He wouldn't eat or drink and started drooping his neck. I saw similar symptoms in my late cat Joe when he had kidney failure due to bad cat food(fancy feast). I immediately brought him to the vet. He has a 105 temperature. They told me to leave him overnight to conduct test $800.00 blood and x-ray. They just called me and found a needle and string in the x-ray. They said it could puncture the intestine and that creates huge problems/serious bile infection if there is any leakage. He is going to go under surgery in an hour $3000.00. I wish he could poop it and now I feel like I made a bad choice because he might need his intestine clipped if the surgery doesnt go well. Pooping just seems more natural, but since he has the fever I feel this is best. I just feel the vet could do more harm in the process of opening him up. What if it is not even in the intestine, maybe even poke through the outside. That would be horrible. I guess we will wait and see, but sadly my cat Wheat is my best friend. He purrs immediately when you pick him up, he comes to my whistle or anytime i say his name, he kisses me each night. I hope he will be okay. :'' (:confused:

I am very sorry to hear about your cat! How terrible! Good job getting him to the vet right away.

It would be very dangerous for him to try to pass a needle and thread, and could tangle and tear his insides all up, your vet is doing the right thing.

Welcome to pet lovers, and please keep us posted on your beloved kitty. What's his name?

tweener
03-04-2010, 05:35 AM
I'm glad to hear that everything's fine. we’ll have to keep an eye on our beloved pets so this won't happen again. :)

bighilllex
11-04-2010, 09:12 AM
Thank you for the posts. Our cat Tiger ate a needle and thread last night. Our daughter saw the thread hanging out of his mouth and tried to pull it, but he ran away and swallowed it all. Of course it was late at night,but the vet came in and did an xray and the needle is in his stomach, surrounded by dinner, but thankfully heads down. We talked to an emergency vet clinic who supported us just waiting at this point, with xrays later this morning. If it had lodge in his throat or roof of his mouth, they could have pulled it out. Sometimes they do make it through the digestive track, sometimes the needle lodge trying to leave the stomach or rectum. Apparently when people don't know their pets have swallowed the needles, they sometimes migrate through the throat or stomach and just start coming out the side of the pet. Will post an update when we know more. It was a great comfort to read all these posts.

Llamalady
11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Terrifying!!!!!!!!!!! Through the side? At least that's good to know, though.

bighilllex
11-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Tiger's needle is staying put in his stomach. No movement in two days. We are afraid it is not going anywhere and don't feel comfortable waiting any longer, an option offered by the vet. At $60 a pop for the xrays, waiting may be more expensive than just fixing the problem with a $350 surgery. Apparently the surgery is no worse than a neutering, but I hate to have any pet under anesthesia. We will know later today how Tiger does.

special
11-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Tiger's needle is staying put in his stomach. No movement in two days. We are afraid it is not going anywhere and don't feel comfortable waiting any longer, an option offered by the vet. At $60 a pop for the xrays, waiting may be more expensive than just fixing the problem with a $350 surgery. Apparently the surgery is no worse than a neutering, but I hate to have any pet under anesthesia. We will know later today how Tiger does.

I am glad you have decided to have the surgery done. I too, would choose that over waiting.

All paws crossed for Tiger. Please keep us updated.

Llamalady
11-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Best of mind for Tiger!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claire H.
11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Wow. This thread is a great resource for cat owners... just giving different outcomes to the same issue is invaluable to those under the same set of circumstances.

I also have a kitty that likes to eat earrings, but I didn't know she did this till I saw an earring in her poo once. From then on I kept all small metal objects out of her reach.

I am glad the first kitty is better and I hope the surgery on the second kitty goes without a hitch.

widdlekiddy
02-09-2011, 11:07 PM
OMG

I read your blog and the same thing happened to my Siamese, i turned arond to find him scarfing down the last of the thread and i knew that the needle had gone down too!!!
I panicked and checked the floor like a mad woman and could find anything.
i immediately fed him wet food as i thought that i would be able to tell if he had it lodged in his throat but he munched it.

i googled and found your blog.
i waited and waited and in the morning, 12 hours later, he pooped, but it was what was already there. he didnt poop again until just now and he pooped the needle out in the middle of the poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you you gave me hope.

Llamalady
02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Still don't know why this thread is in the funnybone area.. seems awfully more scary than funny to me.

edwardsanima
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
you should have played the lottery that day cause you and the cat are very lucky

simbacleo
04-25-2011, 08:47 AM
For the record... my cat Simba swallowed a needle and thread yesterday at around 5pm... I saw him choking on something, when I ran over, the string was hanging out of his mouth, I pried open his mouth and I saw the needle lodged inside his jaw... I tried to pull it out but he kept squirming and crying and I felt like I was scratching him and it was traumatizing not to mention difficult to hold him down and try to pull the needle out by myself. I decided to let him go and see if he could spit it out naturally, but he swallowed it instead. I kept thinking I should have just yanked that thing out of his mouth even though I may have scratched his face a little... better than having it scratch up his insides. Anyway, he swallowed it, no doubt, and there was nothing I could do at that point. He seemed fine, but I was soooo worried. It was a holiday and there are no emergency vets in the area. I called his vet on the cell phone, who told me not to feed him anything and to bring him in in the morning when the clinic opens. I looked up "cat swallowed needle" online to see if anyone else had a similar experience I could relate to because I was hysterical. I found a lot of people speculating out of fear about needles being lodged inside stomachs and vets and surgeries, and a few REAL experiences... (mainly on this thread), in which the cats either pooped it out eventually, or the owners were so scared they couldn't wait and took the cat to the vet to have the needle removed immediately.... no storries about owners who waited and had their cat randomly die... THANK GOD. I immediately fed my cat... I didn't have wet food, and since I leave the dry food out all the time, he wouldn't eat it when I put it in front of him. I had some plain turkey breast cold cuts in the fridge, and I fed him about 2 slices of that all mashed up... then I ran to the store and I fed him about a 1/3 can of Friskies wet cat food, which he gladly ate over the course of 2 sittings. I was relieved that he was eating and swallowing without choking or vomiting... which meant that the needle was probably not lodged anywhere. He didn't poo at all last night, but he still seemed ok (alert, playing, cuddling, purring, eating, drinking, peeing as normal). This morning I fed him another 1/3 can of the cat food mashed up with some boiled leafy greens, and I made him eat about 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt with live culutres which I pumped into his mouth with a syringe so he would poop faster. I thought so long as he seemed normal and he hadn't pooped any blood or anything questionable, I could wait to see if his body would take care of itself naturally and he could poop the needle before putting him through any traumatizing surgeries or spending money on a trip to the vet. Sure enough, 3pm today (about 22 hours after the incident), he started acting a little strange... sort of lazy and distracted, but still purring when I pet him and no signs of a fever or anything dramatic... I massaged his belly a little very gently to see if I could feel anything and maybe stimulate his digestive organs a bit to get some pooping action going... and I stuck him in the litter box. He tried to poop, nothing came out. He stepped out and groaned a bit. I said a little prayer for him. He stepped back in, dug a deeper hole with a little more determination, and POOOOOOOOP plop plop plop.... a needle and thread with about 5 balls of slimy green poop attached (probably as a result of the yogurt and leafy greens I put in his food). He's perfectly back to normal now... running around, grooming himself, and happy as can be. THANK YOU to all who posted their actual real life stories, and who were brave enough to trust their guts and wait for their cats to poop when everyone was telling you to go to the vet and there were no posts yet on the internet from people who actually lived it. Your posts were so valuable among all the fear and ego driven posts that were made by people who just want to sound like they know, or were too scared to wait. I would have either been crying all night or paid way too much money for nothing. I thank you, Simba thanks you... Much love <3

dlaura
04-25-2011, 12:19 PM
As a moderator here I would like to first say thank you for your post and that we are glad that this thread helped Simba & yourself. Although I notice the thread is located in the Funny Bone forum, so originally it started out as something else I guess.

It is so nice to know that all our threads/posts have had a positive effect.

However, I also feel the need to say that you were very, very lucky and did take a big chance that Simba would pass the needle without any damage to him inside. It is always better to err on the side of caution and I think myself I would have headed to the vet first light of morning and been waiting on the vet's doorstop to be sure my cat would be ok.

So, I would urge others to realize that you are gambling with your cat's life when you just wait and pray for the needle/thread to pass without a tragedy occurring.

dlaura
04-25-2011, 12:47 PM
I wondered why this thread was in the Funny Bone forum so I went back to research why. Doesn't look like it belongs there - so I have moved it to the appropriate forum.

edwardsanima
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
It wasnt my sick sence of humor that put here. roflmao
but glad everything came out alright. get it came out.

dlaura
04-25-2011, 03:06 PM
It wasnt my sick sence of humor that put here. roflmao
No, you are in the clear this time Scott! Thank goodness! :)

but glad everything came out alright. get it came out.

Yes, we get it! LOL

special
04-26-2011, 08:20 AM
As a moderator here I would like to first say thank you for your post and that we are glad that this thread helped Simba & yourself. Although I notice the thread is located in the Funny Bone forum, so originally it started out as something else I guess.

It is so nice to know that all our threads/posts have had a positive effect.

However, I also feel the need to say that you were very, very lucky and did take a big chance that Simba would pass the needle without any damage to him inside. It is always better to err on the side of caution and I think myself I would have headed to the vet first light of morning and been waiting on the vet's doorstop to be sure my cat would be ok.

So, I would urge others to realize that you are gambling with your cat's life when you just wait and pray for the needle/thread to pass without a tragedy occurring.

I'm with you Diane. I too would not "wait and see" with a sewing needle or any dangerous object my cat might swallow. I sew a lot and am extremely careful with my thread and needles, but I do worry about it.

muffinka
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Pancake is 3 years old cat. Over 48 hours ago he swollowed a needle which I have left unsupervised on my desk for 2 minutes when I went to the toilet. The next think I rememenr was him sitting on my desk swollowing something very passinately. only a second after I realized thet my needle is gone. I quickly check Pancake's mouth but there was no sign of a needle and a thread. I was terrified to tell my partner about my carelessness. He loves this cat as his own child. Firstly I googled what should I do in this situation. Although I care for my cat I could not afford a trip to the vet as I am a student. I have decided to wait for any symptoms.
Pancake bahaved as normal for the entire time. Of course I gave him as much food as possible. I did not play with him. He did not show any sympoms of discomfort. He jumped up and down and ate a lot. He also did not try to vomit. I am glad it all ended this way but it showed me how much I really love that cat and if something would happen to him, I would never forgive myself.
A:party: tip for cat owners: make sure that you don't use needle when your cat is around. it will save you a lot of nerves if a cat swollowes it.

special
03-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Pancake is 3 years old cat. Over 48 hours ago he swollowed a needle which I have left unsupervised on my desk for 2 minutes when I went to the toilet. The next think I rememenr was him sitting on my desk swollowing something very passinately. only a second after I realized thet my needle is gone. I quickly check Pancake's mouth but there was no sign of a needle and a thread. I was terrified to tell my partner about my carelessness. He loves this cat as his own child. Firstly I googled what should I do in this situation. Although I care for my cat I could not afford a trip to the vet as I am a student. I have decided to wait for any symptoms.
Pancake bahaved as normal for the entire time. Of course I gave him as much food as possible. I did not play with him. He did not show any sympoms of discomfort. He jumped up and down and ate a lot. He also did not try to vomit. I am glad it all ended this way but it showed me how much I really love that cat and if something would happen to him, I would never forgive myself.
A:party: tip for cat owners: make sure that you don't use needle when your cat is around. it will save you a lot of nerves if a cat swollowes it.

It has not necessarily "ended". The needle has to come OUT of the cat. If you have not seen it in his feces, it is still in him. Sell something, or borrow the money and take him to the vet for an xray.