PDA

View Full Version : Please help! My puppy got fat overnight

Jamie-Lynn
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
My 19-week-old puppy (Hugo) managed to topple over a huge bag of dog treats last night. We reckon he ate about half a kilogram. We havent weighed him yet but before this happened he weighed about 7 kilograms.

He is visibly much fatter, and although he is doing alot of poo, im worried his stomach might be stretched. He also seems a little more tired than usual. Will he go back to his normal size again and how long would this take? Should i feed him differently and is this going to have any long-term complications on his general health etc?

Sorry about all the questions, but you know how it is, he's my baby so please help!

Thankyou
Jamie-Lynn

tiffers
06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
He may be bloated. If the puppy is large breed dog, you worry about the stomach actually twisting and cutting off blood flow and oxygen to the stomach. It is possible it smaller breeds, but not as common. If the puppy is sick, I'd definately get to a vet being so young. Also, you can assume he's going to have TERRIBLE diarrhea soon.

BrinkleyBing
06-30-2007, 03:30 PM
We had a similar experince with Heera. She got into the dog food bag...and by the time we realized it...her tummy looked pregnant!! Her symptoms were similar to your pup's. We did not feed Heera for the next whole day. She was normal by the second day morning.

Contact your Vet. In the meanwhile, I would suggest you keep an eye on your pup and it's poop. Watch out for any blood in the poop which may be a sign of inflammation of the digestive tract.

Hope your pup feels better soon!!

Jamie-Lynn
06-30-2007, 03:42 PM
Thankyou so much for the advice! He's a smallish breed (beagle x springer spaniel) so hopefully he won't be bloated. His stomach is already going down by itself anyway so hopefully i won't have too much diarrhea to look forward to! Thanks again :)

mynameislola
07-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Our dog's food and their treats are stored in metal trash cans with the lids held on with bungee cords.

BrinkleyBing
07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Our dog's food and their treats are stored in metal trash cans with the lids held on with bungee cords.

Yes, after Heera's hogging incident, all the dog food is in storage bins w/lids in the laundry room w/ the door closed. All the treats & bones are in smaller bins w/ lids in a cabinet w/child-proof locks.

toinks
07-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Maybe you should go ask your vet about your dog's condition.

SweetPea
07-02-2007, 02:57 AM
i would just simply fast for at least a day.

you can give some low sodium chicken broth, but definitely fast for at least a day...and if he is still bloated, fast for two days.

my puppy is really picky with her food... i'm sure if i left a whole cooked turkey or something on the ground, she will eat it all...but anything else... maybe a nibble..nothing more.... lol