PDA

View Full Version : How Many Hours Play time does my pup need?

LaraJasmine
03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi there

okay my husband keeps telling me Our 4 month old pup only needs 2 hours of play time, but when she goes a little too crazy or starts to do too bad like chasing the cat etc. we cut down her play time to 1 hour.

Now the 1 hours exercise, (which doesnt include cuddling time as i call it which is just attention) does work, she calms down and is better.

But how many hours in general does she need? Because shes starting to pee in the house and stuff even though she is very smart and knows she shouldnt be doing that.

I am there with her all day.

marg
03-28-2007, 05:41 PM
It depends on the breed of dog, somewhat. I'm not sure there is a time limit on how much a puppy should play. Some could play at all times unless they are asleep. I don't think he will stop chasing the cat just because you take away his playtime. He really won't understand. What do you mean by "playtime". Does he get to go outside and play or what? As far as the going potty in the house, he will have accidents and he isn't trying to get back at you for anything, he just doesn't know any better yet. You should be able to potty train him pretty easily if you are home all day. There is alot of information on how to potty train.

PatchO'Pits
03-28-2007, 06:33 PM
IMO puppies need a lot more than 2 hours a day of play and contact time with their owners. Of course she will chase the cat and pee in the house. You need to train her and take her out more often

Please see the training and socializing a puppy thread

LaraJasmine
03-28-2007, 10:42 PM
First off you dont need to be so rude . I actually volunteer most of my time to animals..the Reason I ask is because:

My vet is the one said i dont need to give her more than 2 hours.
Plus I do take her out Every Time she needs to. She isnt sitting in her crate doing nothing.

Yes she is peeing too much in the house after months of being so well potty trained..mistakes yes but mistakes must be corrected.

Shes a lab mix

2 hours means of exercise..not playing with her toys or human attention.

I give her human attention and Playing with toys. She goes everywhere with me, and when my husband is home she spends so much time with both of us going places.

The weekends she gets to go to the dogpark.

If she does mess up like going pee in the house, We give her a timeout.
If she doesnt come and starts running towards the driveway i give her a timeout.

I cannot run with her 2 hours straight because I have Serious Asthma.

But anyways, someone who doesnt think That Im neglectign my puppy could you please give me advice?

BrinkleyBing
03-29-2007, 12:41 AM
I am not sure what exactly 'timeout' means...for the dog. Could you please explain a little more? What is your Lab’s name?

Catching the puppy in the act of peeing in the house is important. They know from our voice tone...that they had done something wrong. I think the 'timeout' might be confusing for the dog. Also, putting her on leash would be a good idea...if you know she would not obey you & run towards the driveway. This way, not only she knows she needs to obey you, but it also gives you more control over her...& of course safer.

To answer your original question...I think you can be the best judge to determine if the puppy gets tired enough. When you are playing outside with her (or some indoor games) she'll get slow and will show signs of exhaustion (though I've seen some dogs with endless energy & stamina).

You can play ‘fetch’ with her until she gets tired. You can tie a 20 feet long lead ($5 in Walmart) on her, so that if she doesn’t come back….you can pull the lead. The laser beam is also a good way to exercise dogs.

Hope this helps!

PatchO'Pits
03-29-2007, 06:53 AM
First off you dont need to be so rude . I actually volunteer most of my time to animals..the Reason I ask is because:

My vet is the one said i dont need to give her more than 2 hours.
Plus I do take her out Every Time she needs to. She isnt sitting in her crate doing nothing.

Yes she is peeing too much in the house after months of being so well potty trained..mistakes yes but mistakes must be corrected.

Maybe you should have elaborated more in your first post LOL as for being rude, answering a question thruthfully is not rude. :eek:

Being well potty trained means accidents at all and honestly if she is having a lot and was not having any accidents before and you are doing everything right like taking her out and not leaving her unattended and it is happeneing then I'd say get her checked for a UTI or bladder infection.

Because shes starting to pee in the house and stuff even though she is very smart and knows she shouldnt be doing that. I'm thinking though more likely at her age she is just not trained yet and doesn't know she isn't supposed to go or she wouldn't be doing it, and needs to be taken out more and supervised more while she is out with you in the house. Rule of thumb for house training is that if you can not actively watch the pup should be confined to one area or crated because the chances are she will go when no one is looking. It helps greatly with house breaking to be on a schedule and when playing to take frequent breaks to go out

As for chasing the cat. She needs to be taught not to do that like I already said and not crated for the bad behavior . That will not teach her not to do it.

I am totally against using a crate as punishment as it is supposed to be a safe place for them that they like to go. You may instead try redirecting her behavior and or keeping her on a short tab lead to get her attention when she is misbehaving

Also a tired pup is a better behaved one so when she is crated and then only getting the one hr of exercise like you said that pent up energy will make her even more apt to be naughty. Labs have tons of energy.
Also keeping a dog active mentally stimulated through training also plays a big part in a pups life, thus the thread I referred you to...

I'm still not quite sure what you consider the difference between play and exercise. Puppies play is their exercise to me as you wouldn't do any kind of major work

...I think you can be the best judge to determine if the puppy gets tired enough. I agree. There is no "set" amount of time that a pup needs to play and it will also vary from day to day

make sure the activities you pick do not put unnecessary stress on the joints as HD is very common in labs

Enjoy your pup they grow tooooo fast

marg
03-29-2007, 08:24 AM
Sorry, but I'm not sure where anyone was being rude. I thought you wanted some input on your puppy. We gave it to you. If it wasn't what you wanted to hear then I apologize. The people on this forum are very honest and I think are about as good as it gets when it comes to advice. I think I understand what you are talking about when you say "play time". I think you mean YOU playing w/ her. I think you should play w/ her as often as you can. If you don't have the energy then just give her something else to play with. Labs are VERY playful, energetic, puppies. They can get into EVERYTHING. I don't think your "time outs" are a good idea. If you don't catch a puppy in the act, then they have no idea what you are doing. You just need to relax and enjoy your puppy. She will find a way to play if you give her plenty of things to play with. I'm sure you are doing just fine w/ her, you don't need to monitor how long she has played everyday. :)

LaraJasmine
03-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Thankyou for your replies. Time out means we stop playing for a few mintues.

Ok she always has toys in her crate to play with, but see, We dont have a fenced yard, so ive been teaching her to play outside without running anywhere else. Which shes been doing great. But we also play in the garage and I realized she wont run in the garage and exert her energy. she'll just play with her toys.

So i wanted to know if she needed to exert her energy by running for a few more hours.

Ive been told you cant say "bad girl" or "no" when you catch your puppy peeing in the house..or they'll think you are saying for them not to pee at all.

So when I catch her in the act I give her a timeout...I dont yell at her. The Vet said she will realize that she's made a mistake. But I cant be so lenient on the little girl. Ive seen a lot of puppies raised wrongly and I wont do that with my pup.

Ive decided to set a sechdule for her potty times..maybe that'll change the peeing in the house and not letting her run around the house.
my husband
is the one that told me to put her in the crate after doing something bad. The Vet told him..which i find "interesting" I never belived that..but sine the Vet said It...

anyways thanks

NewfieGrl
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi, congrats on your pup!
What about sitting on the floor in the house and playing ball. Do you have enough room to do somethng like that? We do that kind of stuff on rainy days and such.
As far as the training, whoever gave you that info was incorrect. When you catch her peeing in the house you must correct with a firm "NO PEE" and then get her outside and say "PEE outside", or something like that. When she does pee outside then you want to give her alot of praise, high pitched happy tone in your voice, clap, tell her "good girl pee outside". Make a big deal out of her being a good girl. It may take a little time but I think you will be able to get her back to not peeing in the house.
Good luck.
Michele
owned by 2 Newfies, a cocker spaniel and 3 cats.

marg
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I feel sorry for you not having a fenced in yard. That really makes things hard. If at all possible you should think about doing that. I know that can be a big expense, but if there is anyway it will make your life SOOO much easier. I totally agree that whoever told you how to potty train is TOTALLY wrong. She's gonna pee no matter what, you just need to tell where she can do it. Have a leash handy and the second she goes or even looks like she is(circiling, leaving the room, whatever you think she may do)take her outside. Have treats or praise her ALOT EVERY time she goes outside. It will take a long time, it will seem like forever to you, but eventually she will get the idea. It could take months. My Chloe wasn't trained until right around a year old. Good luck. :)

ReesAkita
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Time out will not work to teach her not to pee in the house.It'll just make her think she's not supposed to pee at all.As was said the important thing is to catch in the act or when she looks like she needs to go and get her outside and then praise her and reward her when she goes outside.Good luck!

LovesAnimals777
03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
I never kept track how much time I spent playing with my dogs when they were puppies but I do remember taking the time to play with them everyday. About potty training, it takes time & patience. Rewarding them and making a big deal out of it when they do go outside helps a lot. Depending on the breed of the dog, it may take longer for the dog to be potty trained.

OrangeCtyCa
03-29-2007, 11:31 PM
My Chloe wasn't trained until right around a year old. Good luck. :)

Now I remember why I always get used dogs from the pound.

I couldn't find any rudeness either.

marg
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Now I remember why I always get used dogs from the pound.

I couldn't find any rudeness either.
Chloe was a used dog from the pound. I don't think it makes any difference where they come from, ya think?

OrangeCtyCa
03-30-2007, 12:59 PM
By "used" I meant he was grown and already house trained.

Tigs-rific
03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow, what a thread...

Here is what i thik about the whole isue. Dogs chase cats (amongst other things). Labs love to chase things. This must be corrected very quickly as I have known lots of labs to accidently hurt cats trying to play with them. My cats always put my dogs (even a great dane) in their place when they did not want to play so i never had to break this habit.

Onto the play issue. Until your pup is FULLY trained, do not let them off their lead/leash outside. Your pup is still a bit young and could easily be distracted (like by a stray cat). My brother put a runner in his yard and for a few days, he would walk Peppar (a black lab) the length of the runner. Then he would play ball with him once Pepper knew the boundaries. He made sure to not throw the ball out of the boundaries. This gave Pepper great exercise but ensured he would not run off. (Just so folks know - Pepper was inside dog. He only used the runner while he was outside with Pepper to train/play/exercise) Also, if you have a hallway, throw toys down it to be retrieved. Puppy's have tremendous energy. I gave mine all the playtime they wanted, then in the evening, we had our "cuddle time" on the couch where they could nap, lay down, or play with a toy quietly. I used "sweet girl" when I wanted them to act that way. I would say it over and over again and now they know it means to calm down.

About potty-training. I most certainly did tell my dogs "no" in a firm voice if I caught them going inside. Then I would immediatly take them outdoors and say "Go Potty" so they could finish. As soon as they started to potty outside I would say "Good Girl" and give them tremendous praise. Everytime take them out I say "Go Potty". Then I am completely guiet until they start to go, then I praise, A LOT!!! I trained all of my dogs in a matter of a month max! I also trained all of them with a crate while I was at work, and they slept with me. End results: I may not have an inch of space to sleep on in my bed, but I have four dogs that can pee on command!!!

PatchO'Pits
03-30-2007, 06:22 PM
About potty-training. I most certainly did tell my dogs "no" in a firm voice if I caught them going inside. Then I would immediatly take them outdoors and say "Go Potty" so they could finish. As soon as they started to potty outside I would say "Good Girl" and give them tremendous praise. Everytime take them out I say "Go Potty". Then I am completely guiet until they start to go, then I praise, A LOT!!! I trained all of my dogs in a matter of a month max! I also trained all of them with a crate while I was at work, and they slept with me. End results: I may not have an inch of space to sleep on in my bed, but I have four dogs that can pee on command!!!
LOl sounds like my house LOL

I agree with how you did your training.

I think they must be misundertanding the vets advice or the vet has no clue about training. I am thinking it is the first thing. As you certainly should say "NO" and get the pup outside to potty asap.

Kitten1994
03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
First of all, I would think a puppy would need more then two hours of excersize. I use to take my dog out for a walk, after every time it would take a drink of water! And about twice a day we would go to the park and run around and maybe play fetch if she was good!

It's great that you are home with your puppy during the days. That leaves you time to bond and play with your puppy. If you don't want your dog outdoors (like if it's raining, etc.) then you could play tug-of-war, fetch and other games with your puppy.

As for the peeing in the house. Whoever gave you the advice to never say "no" and "bad dog" and things like that are totally wrong. If you just give the puppy a timeout, she wouldn't get house trained as fast as if you say stuff sternly.
I have heard though that you should never yell. You should say the stuff sternly, but start saying "no" and I promise you that you will start to see better results with her house training.

Good Luck and congrats with the new pup!;)