PDA

View Full Version : Molting Or Plucking?

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 10:42 AM
:cool: Ok well most of you know that when i got Ceaser, blue crown conure he came in with feathers missing around his neck chest area, well since the last few days that hes been here i have notice more feathers missing, now i have watched him and he does not seem to be plucking and when he preens hes not pulling on the feathers.. So far i have shown his pic a few times to few other sites and some conure owners say it looks like it could be a heavy molt, so im posting a pic of Ceaser then a few pics that i tried to get as close as possible and as clear as possible the feathers that was on the bottom of his cage this morn at 10 am.. Thats how many feathers that came off him from between 5pm yesterday and 10am this morn.. Could this be a molt or plucking??
Ok first pic home comming, you can see where the feathers was missing around the neck area..

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
ok then 5 days later, this is how he looks in the neck chest area.. today is his 6th day with us.. This pic was taken yesterday..

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 10:53 AM
and heres few pics of the feathers that came out since 5pm yesterday so thats close to 17hrs. time..

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 11:00 AM
These are the same feathers just on a diffrent back ground..

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 11:04 AM
ah crud that came out to blurry lets try one more time,

Love Bird B
01-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Cuda,

Those look like the typical feathers Argo's dropping of late. He doesn't look like he's missing any in one area though. Wouldn't be great if they could tell us what was going on?

"Mommy, I'm plucking my feathers because I want more kisses"! -I doubt that's the situation in your house, I'm just being goofy. It's Monday (sounds like a good excuse).

Amanda
01-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Those look like the feathers that I find in Rio's cage everyday (she's in molt right now) but I haven't noticed any bare patches on her. I can't really say if Ceasar is just molting very heavily or if he's plucking. Can you get in touch with his previous owner and ask them if Ceasar is known for plucking a few feathers? It also may be that he's molting but with the added stress of moving, he is losing more feathers?

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Yeah hes not bald in that area he has downy feathers in that spot seems like if he was plucking he would be doing alot more than that i think, also seems like we would see him doing it, he hasnt done anything at all today one preening and that was it no feathers came out with the preening today so far.. We gave him a good bath last night, man he didnt not care for that at all.. Maybe that helped him feel better..

Jenny
01-26-2004, 12:41 PM
I would guess that Caesar's just molting heavily...then again, plucking lightly??? Really it's hard to tell, but if you don't see him pulling them out it looks like you're safe. If he is actually plucking it's probably just from the stress of moving and I woudlnt' think it'd get much worse. To me Caesar looks absolutely fabulous, compared to my adopted BCC with a completely naked chest, back, legs, & shoulders!

Barracuda 42
01-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Hey Amanda, im gona e-mail Chris today and see what hes got to say, dont know if i will get a honest answer or not but i will find out... I know when i picked um up Maxx was going thru a molt and still is..

Jenny
01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
Cuda- I don't know why I have never thought of this but it was in BirdTalk today. If you see pin feathers coming in on his head, neck, back, etc. then it's a sign he's still molting and that's probably just what it is. If you don't see many though it's probably plucking.

Amanda
01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Good luck Cuda. Let me know what you find out. Poor baby Ceasar.

Squawksx3
01-27-2004, 01:39 AM
LOL B!

Gosh, they are beauties cuda. I would think that maybe stress might be playing a role in this, like Jenny said from the move and getting used to the new home and surroundings. Please let us know what you find out.

Barracuda 42
01-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Ok well i have noticed today a few pinfeathers that are new behind and around the back side of his head, so maybe it is just a real heavy molt, i will make sure to give lots baths and to make sure hes getting good vitamins durring this time im also getting ahold of the vet tomarrow, hes supose to be back then so i will talk with him.. Also i have not herd from Chris on this issue, i did e-mail him and nothing yet..:(

originalfatc
01-27-2004, 11:52 AM
I know cats can *throw* an incredible amout of hair when stressed in any way.

Can birds possibly react the same?

krazy4birds
01-27-2004, 03:49 PM
Let us know as soon as you figure this one out...I am very interested. How is your Quaker? We both got one real close together...lol....Oliver is still picking but I love him so much so I just keep trying new things and hopefully I might hit on something will help him. Casegura helped me alot on giving me things to try. :) ....
Good luck;)

Barracuda 42
01-27-2004, 04:20 PM
krazy4birds, as soon as i know for sure whats going on with Ceaser everyone will know, i found a few new pin feathers on him this morn so it could very well be a heavy molt. Maxx is doing great hes molting to, has new pinfeathers all over him, mostly the head area. Hes such a clown and has been talking up a storm, mainly when i leave the room few mins later ya here "Hello" "Whats up" and few centences that i am trying to figure out, last night he was quacking like a duck was just to funny and he was also making a purring sound..

krazy4birds
01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
That is funny!!! I would like to hear that..lol..
That reminds that Dexter (Timneh Grey) was barking like a dog the other day.....We have no dogs so this has to be something he already knew....lololol....they are so cute! :)

ParrotRus
01-28-2004, 04:58 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, sounds to me he is in a molting stage. My little Samson looked a mess when he was molting too. And my Grey lost all her tail feathers but one during a molt when she was little(talk about scared) lol.