PDA

View Full Version : Help, my cat is freaking out for no reason

moksha
07-15-2006, 04:38 PM
I've had two one year old kittens (brothers, indoor only) for 4 months now and one of them has always been very sweet and lovey. Loves to have his belly rubbed and gets picked up all the time. All of a sudden yesterday he started to freak out and jump 2 feet in the air for no apparent reason. Seems to only happen when he's being touched but not in any specific place and not all the time. One time I was rubbing his belly and he was rolling on his back acting like he really liked it then suddenly jumped up and ran under the table. When I called him he started to come back but then stopped and stared at me when he got closer. The strange thing is that it's so random and almost like he's seeing things that are freaking him out because he just stares and the hair on his back goes up. They've had health problems since I got them. FIV negative but possibly have herpes or over active immune systems (thats what one vet said). Symptoms between the two of them have been eye problems, gum problems, ulcers on paw pads (he just got a cortizone shot for that 2 weeks ago), and fevers. I'm so upset because I love my cuddly cat and now he hates me for no reason.

marg
07-15-2006, 11:01 PM
I don't think he hates you but something seems to be bothering him. Cats are really hard for me to figure out but I'm sure someone may have some answers. I would say to have him checked at the vet but I think you already have.:)

'too crazy
07-16-2006, 09:07 AM
I agree with Marg that your cat doesn't hate you. I'd call the vet and see if he can tell you the problem over the phone. It just may be something related to one of the health problems.

Cat&Dog mom
07-16-2006, 09:09 PM
If and when any health concerns are out of the way the thing I tend to do is trial and error.lol Abou the only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be is you have capeting and maybe when you are petting him maybe there is a little static electric shock?

moksha
07-17-2006, 03:55 AM
No carpet all wood floors, but he does act like he's being shocked, although even though he did it like 10 times yesterday he hasn't done it at all today. Maybe he was posessed.

Jasercise
07-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Cats are very sensitive and sometimes they get overstimulated from being petted. It happens to me sometimes that when I pet my cat on my lab and he's totally content that all of a sudden he jumps up and runs away, then he stopps and looks starteled and starts licking himself to calm down. he simply forgot that he was on my lab and dozed off and then was startled by me.
I think your cat might be just very sensitive as he matures...is he nutered?

Secondly, male cats in general don't like to have their belly touched....that's my experiment...even thought hey show the belly to signalize trust...don't touch it!

Hope that helped. Best!

For_the_dogs
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
One thought... have you gotten new toys lately? Catnip can make cats act very strange, like any drug can. I've heard that young kittens aren't affected, its only when they reach a certain maturity or something like that.

moksha
07-18-2006, 03:12 AM
No new toys and yes he's neutered. today is the second day that he hasn't had a freak out. We remembered that in the morning him and his brother where wrestling and playing chase when came running around the corner and was startled by my boyfriend who was coming out of the room so I guess he just stayed spooked all day long.

catlady2006
07-18-2006, 11:09 AM
My female cat shadow get spooked sometimes. But she doesn't stay that way for more than a day or two. He will be himself soon. Good luck

suzzyq80
11-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hope you can help,
I have a new kitty for 2 months now and he freaked out today, just like what was posted here, I see it's been a couple of years since this post and was wondering how the kitty is doing. did you find out what was wrong with her,,
my kitty has freaked out 3 times today,, never before has this happened,,, he jumps back hits the wall and runs hits another wall and takes off..
the next time I was just petting his head and he jumped back and ran off down the hall and hit a wall,,
the 3rd time,, only 10 mins apart, he was in the livingroom looking around like something was there waiting to get him, and he was scared to death,, I went to reach for him and he almost jumped into the fireplace,, I don't want to go near him now,, Now I'm the one freaking out,,
he did take some treats from me since the last freak out but I dare not try to pick him up,,
any suggestions?,,, he also been treated for upper respitory for about a month now,, can't seem to shake it,

Sue

lindsayanng
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
i would definitely suggest you get your kitty to a vet. Running into walls is not common in kitty freak outs. I mean, i had a cat who would have spurts of energy, but NEVER ran into a wall. The running into walls means that she likely has no control over what is happening.. Meaning that there could be some sort of neurological issues causing this. There has actually been a lot of talk about siezures and people who are experienced in this have said that seizures do show themselves as "freakouts" more than the typical "TV" seizure that we are used to seeing. Seizures CAN be shaking and tremors, but in cats, they can also be exactly what you described.

He also could have Lyme;s disease which could explain the URI as well.

i would definitely take him to the vet. Chorinic URIs can mean MANY things. My cat who had the chronic URI issue was diagnosed with bartonella.. but it could be many things.

suzzyq80
11-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Well no more episodes since Tues, the vet couldn't find anything that would explain this, Dio just had another booster a week ago and he's thinking it might have caused this, seeing he got sick again shortly after the shot,,
if it happens again, I'm to bring him in at once..
I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was a one time thing,

special
11-16-2008, 12:34 AM
How old is Dio? Do you know anything aobut his history? idiopathic seizure disorder in cats usually starts when they are about 3 years old.

Hopefully it was just a fluke, but if you see any more episodes you might want to get them on video to show your vet.

My cat who has "fly chasing" seizures has been on phenobarbital for over 6 years now,and the episodes are controlled.

He would run around like crazy, clearly uncontrollable, look like he was chasing a bug, but it was unable to be interupted, he would also continuously shake his head, bite the floor and bite his flank. Terrifying.

Welcome to petlovers, by the way. Tell us more about your Dio!

suzzyq80
11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
He's 5 months old,, and a sweetie pie,,
they didn't disclose anything,, said he was healthy,,
all her kittyies had the sniffles, but I thought a little antibiotic and TLC would take care of it,, he wasn't cheap, so I'm a little ticked..

samii2887
08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
She would always go to my bedroom and lay down with me. Ever since these two days she will sit by my door. I've opened the door to see if she wants in and she will slowly walk in and slowly back out. While she walks in slowly, she just stares under the bed like something is there. We've lifted the bed to make sure there wasn't like a snake under there but there was nothing.. I'm getting a little scared that there might be something. What should I do?

4purrs
08-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Secondly, male cats in general don't like to have their belly touched....that's my experiment...even thought hey show the belly to signalize trust...don't touch it!
I have noticed the opposite. Many male cats (especially black ones, go figure) love to have their belly rubbed. The females don't.

katiem
08-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I have noticed the opposite. Many male cats (especially black ones, go figure) love to have their belly rubbed. The females don't.

This is a really old thread, but I kinda agree. Its more about personality than sex IMO, as Calvin and Juniper both love belleh rubs.

4purrs
08-22-2009, 10:04 PM
This is a really old thread, but I kinda agree. Its more about personality than sex IMO, as Calvin and Juniper both love belleh rubs.
Oops, didn't notice how old it was. The post before mine was dated 8/12, so someone else bumped this thread up.

katiem
08-22-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL! Its no big deal, happens all the time. I was referring to the other poster, it would have been better for her to start her own post.

meowmix
08-22-2009, 11:21 PM
1) I notice my cats being skiddish and jumpy after I use a vacuum cleaner or anything that makes noise (hair dryer, electric toothbrush)...have you noticed the cat's recent reactions after using anything like that? Or do you remember if the actions started after using something of the like?

2) Do you use AC or a fan in your bedroom? My cats make a big deal about any little things that moves....if even a shoe string is loose and moving while I walk, they go nuts. Maybe something under your bed is blown a little by air??

I could be completely off with both of those, but thought I'd give it a shot.

Let us know what's going on.

phineasboggs
10-11-2009, 05:57 AM
My 2 year old male cat with bengal tendencies (adopted 8/8/09), had a panic / psychotic attack last night. He was on the bed almost asleep, I made a brushing noise, and he freaked in terror. Nothing I could do, helped. He is now avoiding the bedtop except when I feed him there.

The only thing I can attribute it to is something from the television shadows and background noise. NCIS!

Previously, he has been intrigued and chased reflections in the glass of artwork on the wall, and has jumped up to catch whatever. Also, he periodically chases lizard hooves from window to window in made dashes where he's having fun like a maniac (true bengals do this a lot).

But this wasn't fun. It was genuine, relentless fear of something unknown.

Hey, I even removed all things related to our previous cat, in case he suddenly was spooked by his scent. But to no avail.

He was calmer this morning, but turning on NCIS (in a dark, lightless room) seemed to spook him again.

phineasboggs
10-11-2009, 06:00 AM
4 purrs and katiem, my experience is that cats are as different as people, without connection to their hair color or gender. Some people like their tummies rubbed, other people don't. Some cats tolerate it, some will devour your hand. Some cats like to be scratched on a specific spot, others don't<g>!

Llamalady
10-11-2009, 08:27 AM
4 purrs and katiem, my experience is that cats are as different as people, without connection to their hair color or gender. Some people like their tummies rubbed, other people don't. Some cats tolerate it, some will devour your hand. Some cats like to be scratched on a specific spot, others don't<g>!

And some want it want it want it for a few seconds and THEN devour your hand ;)

Dirky47
10-30-2009, 04:14 AM
I really have a hard time thinking about your cat's attitude. Why it shows kinda weird moves. Do really animals see freaking things?

Better consult it to the vet. before anything happen. ;)

Halogen1
03-10-2011, 11:14 PM
My 2 year old male cat with bengal tendencies (adopted 8/8/09), had a panic / psychotic attack last night. He was on the bed almost asleep, I made a brushing noise, and he freaked in terror. Nothing I could do, helped. He is now avoiding the bedtop except when I feed him there.

The only thing I can attribute it to is something from the television shadows and background noise. NCIS!

Previously, he has been intrigued and chased reflections in the glass of artwork on the wall, and has jumped up to catch whatever. Also, he periodically chases lizard hooves from window to window in made dashes where he's having fun like a maniac (true bengals do this a lot).

But this wasn't fun. It was genuine, relentless fear of something unknown.

Hey, I even removed all things related to our previous cat, in case he suddenly was spooked by his scent. But to no avail.

He was calmer this morning, but turning on NCIS (in a dark, lightless room) seemed to spook him again.

Hi.

There was another posting about the cat that is afraid of something under the bed; I wanted to address that post too.

My cat Calliope is 9, and she freaked out for the first time last night. She's a pretty laidback, yet sensitive kitty. She's really sweet too, and she never bites or swipes at humans. She loves outside and rolls on the dirt. Chirps a lot to talk to me. And loves, loves, loves cuddling under the covers at night. She's a fighter too, when it comes to other cats; she doesn't provoke, but she defends...she even once waited 30 min. after I had bathed and dried her to go back and attack the hair dryer. (No more flea baths since then.)

Calliope just started freaking out last night, at like 2 in the morning. (Normally, when she wants to go outside, she scratches on the glass; pretty much, she'll do this to any door that she wants to open.) She really was scared of something. She'd walk cautiously (with her head low and tail horizontal), look everywhere around her (boxes, table legs, countertops, shoes) and have her paw ready to defend. She did hit my white mesh shoe. When I raised my hand to pet her or even moved, it startled her and she even moved back, like she didn't know what might harm her. It was very clear that I couldn't touch her. This lasted for about 4 hours, until she fell asleep.

She did spend about 20 min., on and off, meowing in a new room. I went to check on her, and then she plopped sitting down, like nothing was wrong. But then she got up and was cautious again.

This time, tonight, she freaked out at 7:30pm. This time, it was after she was outside and coming into the house vs. just being in the house. She's not as bad as she was last night; she'll let me pet her a little. But she did turn down catnip, which she never turns down.

Something that does scare me is the balance between understanding animal behaviour and medicine; I wouldn't be so quick to drug a cat (or even a human) without fully understanding what exactly is going on and the cause. Yes, a vet can perform tests to see if there is any known reason for animals to act like this. But as animals, I'm aware that there's a lot to a cat's personality and experience of life that I may not know and that a vet may not know too. Afterall, the truth in science is that something doesn't exist unless its proven. But think of all the things that couldn't be proved in the past, yet can be proved now; so clearly, things can exist regardless of science.

It would be arrogant for people to think that just because they can't see something then animals can't either or even attributing human personality traits to pets. Cats are supposed to be more sensitive to sounds and smells and other things than humans, although their vision is actually not supposed to be so great, they can still see things that we can't and vice versa. Personally, cats seem to have a reason for all behaviors. So "just freaking out" because that's how cats are isn't so accurate. Sometimes, cats attack things that aren't there because of fleas or bugs that we may not be able to see right away. And other times, it could be linked to seeing stuff that humans typically can't.

We used to have a cat Sprite who would get so sad, moping around the house with her "whoas," literally meowed. She was so loud. Sometimes, I'd chase her or let her chase me, and she'd perk up. Then sometimes, she'd start running and playing, like she would happily do with her brother when he was alive. One day, my sis and I saw something inexplicable, only validated by finishing each other's sentences. Sprite had run around the corner, but then immediately, so did another kitty, but we only had 1 cat and it was only Sprite was the only cat in the house.

So it may not be so easy to judge why the cat is freaking out. (Yes, it could be shapes or sounds or chemicals, whatever. But, I unfortunately don't know a full-proof solution.) I've found that talking to my kitty, like she is a good girl and all is okay (like when times are good) and squatting, sitting at her level might help to comfort her. And sitting down with a blanket, helps to entice her to do her favorite thing, cuddling...maybe you can just reassure your cat by not freaking out and treating the cat like she/he's a good kitty, stay calm.

If you're open to alternative methods after visiting a Vet, you could try a cat psychic or a cat psychologist...too bad Cesar Romero isn't a Cat Whisperer. Or you could pray or meditate on an answer/solution.

Good luck; wish my kitty luck too.

:-)