PDA

View Full Version : Hamster eye popping out and dry... :( ... HELP

Law200385
06-25-2006, 07:10 PM
My Hamster Charlotte is about 10 months old. She was purchased by myself and the girls I lived with up at school, after about a week when the excitement wore off and people stopped feeding or or the guys across the hall would come in and toss her in the air, I decided to take her into my own care and keep her in my room where I could make sure she was properly cared for. She is now fully mine and the sweetest thing. I hate mice and rats especially when they roam free in my basement, but for some reason shes not a rodent to me. Anyway she is in my bedroom safe from our cat, and the other day my brother picked her up and proclaimed " her eye is falling out!" :( I had no idea what he was talking about until he brought her over to me. Here eye was bulging out of her face ans the area was red and looked like dried blood and the fur around it was not as full as usual. I freaked out because when I had picked her up and played with her just the day before her eyes were as clear and shiny black as usual. I brought her down to my mom and asked what her opinion was. She suggested I try just normal saliene eye drops because her eye is bulged out so much she can no longer close it, which I might add is a bit freaky when she is peacefully sleeping. I used eye drops that were just saliene and the next morning I went out and bought ones that were specifically to soothe and help care for dry eyes, though they are people eye drops I figured they cannot hurt too much and it seems like the lubrication is necessary right now. Now since this happened Friday night I have not been able to phone a vet yet, and I fear that they will just ask me to bring her in and it coulod cost a lot of money for a $12 Hamster:confused: . If it is not going to be too expensive I plan on trying to take her in because I do not want her to be uncomfortable, which is another weird thing. She is continuing with normal activities and eating and drinking normally, she is also grooming her face as usual even with her eye that won't close. I am mixing some ecanacea drops in her food because I have done this before with other small animals and though I know it cannot heal her it is good for her immune system and I figure if it is an eye infection it can't hurt her, plus she loves it, when the eye dropper is empty i will let her lick it and she holds it like a bottle and is doesn't want to let it go. Until I have a better idea of what to do I am going on cleaning her eye with a q-tip and the eye drops 3-4 times daily. Everything I read online says it will go away mosst likely and thiw eye popping out thing is not too uncommon, has anyone else had experience with this or are there any suggestions? I feel good knowing that she does not seem to be in any pain but I still want her back to normal if at all possible... Thanks, sorry this message is lengthy

kwitty
06-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I hate to say this, but I have had one hamster in the past that ended up with cancer that started in the eye area. Now, I'm not saying that is what it is, but no matter, she needs some vet care. She is suffering and I don't want to lecture you, but always check with a vet first before giving any over the counter medication to an animal.

Law200385
06-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Thanks Kwitty for your advice... Last night I called my best friend who lives about 800 miles away from me, but I realized her dad who is a vet could be a bit helpful. He encouraged me to keep putting just plain old saliene drops in her eye which is what I had been doing. This morning I called around to a few vet offices and tried to find the least expensive one to take her to. $67 later we found out that it was just an injury that she may have done to herself in her cage, and I was given antibiotics to give her for a week. This whole time she has been as happy and playful as she has always been which tells me she is not too irritated by it, and the vet aggreed with that which is always comforting cause they are so small and helpless. The worst that is going to happen at this point is her eye will go completely blind :( and she may keep it closed more often that not ;) , but I am okay with that as long as she stays as sweet and happy as she always has been, my mom joked about looking for cute hamster eye patches, but I think she will but cute enough without one. Sorry to hear that yours ended up with cancer, I thought about that, and my friends dad suggested it over the phone but it all happened so suddenly I didn't think that could be it. I do appreciate your advice, though I could not go another day with getting her some help, even if it was a bit pricy for such a small animal I feel it would have been inhumane to just ignore it. Thanks!

kwitty
06-27-2006, 12:45 PM
That is great news. I'm so happy to hear that she is doing well. :)

Law200385
06-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Well I had been applying the medication as directed and when I came home from work today her eye was just gone :confused: I had taken care of her this morning and it was still there all swollen, but I guess it was probably inevidable and most likely would have fallen out no matter what... She's happy and playful like always, in all honesty it was probably annoying to her the way it was before, I am just waiting to hear back from the vet... hope all you other hamster owners don't have to experience this!

gfactor
11-19-2006, 01:07 PM
I woke up today to check out my two hamsters...

The one that isnt injured looked at me fine.

And I check out my other one.. and he looked at me sideways.... and when I went to look at his whole face I saw his eye was bulging out and bloody.

I am shocked.

He cannot close it.

I was very shocked... What do you think happened?? Will he lose it??

zig zag zoey
11-19-2006, 03:00 PM
OOO NO!!! thats so sad i dont know a thing about hamsters or that but i feel so bad that he has the samething your other one has...maby thay were fiteing o playing and thay scratched the eye?

mynameislola
11-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Are they golden hamsters? That type is not known for being very social. The golden hamsters I had as a kid had to be housed seperately or they'd practically kill each other. Even my breeding pairs were seperated after the girl was pregnant.

What kind of litter are they in? Pine and cedar are toxic.

Please don't use human products on animals unless directed to by your Vet. Many can hurt them and some can kill them.

If you suspect that someone is getting into the cage and hurting them, there are locks you can get for the cage. Being thrown and caught could easily make their eyes pop out. When I got my first Shih Tzu my Vet. gave us a lecture on how to get the eyes back in because they can pop out.

Good luck!

gfactor
11-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Its really sad. The one with the eye problem is the dad and his son (the smaller one) is now sleeping ontop of him to protect him :-/ Ive been cleaning him regulary with water and cotton. It removes excess blood. I saw his eye ball area close a tiny bit so theres still hope.

mynameislola
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
You have two male hamsters in the same cage? Eeeeek!

What kind of hamsters are these? Please do some research on them ASAP. Several types will fight till all but one are dead if housed together.

Butterbaby18
11-27-2006, 08:12 AM
my hamster had the same problem but he became very sick and sadly died. His eye was bulging out too and we applied the saline solution for about a week. He would let us sit there and do it but I think he became very stressed and ended up dying from wet tail. He was a good hamster and I wish that he would have gotten better too. Im glad your hamster is doing well and good luck to you!

dyson1992
06-03-2007, 06:56 PM
i have a siberian dwarf hampster and i have had her for about 6 months now and 3 days ago i was playing with chipper my hampster and she was normal then the next day i was going to feed her and her eye was bulging out of her head and the fur arround the eye was gone and i do not know if i should be concerned or not she is acting normal she eats and drinks and i think she runs on her wheel the different thing is she seems to sleep more if you have any info for me please e-mail mail me at andrewdyson92@yahoo.com

dyson1992
06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
i am very sad to say that i had to have my hamster put down she had some tumers and the other eye started bulging out

skullz
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm actually really young i'm only 14 and I have a hamster unfortunatly I got it from a friend and have no idea what breed she it. But her name is Berry and I'm very concerned for her life... I was stupid and asleep when my little cousins came in my room and started playing with her. they're only about 2 years old and had no idea they were squeezing her.. Her eye popped out and now she has blood all around her eye... My mom told me she will probably take the eye off herself and keep living if i keep her cage clean and leave her alone... but I want someone else's word for it too... I don't want to lose "my baby" please help me

nanamouse
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
That would have to be painful and run the risk of infection, please find a small animal vet for her.

happyday7
12-29-2008, 06:17 PM
I never owned a hamster my self but if i had one and it was missing an eye, I would take the hamster to the Vet ASAP. I cant imagine the pain hamster must be going through and it there was nothing that i can do for the hamster but to wait for it to pass, I will help ease the pain by euthanizing. How Sad!

I always wanted hamster but after learning many hamster's lose their eye, I don't know if I want one anymore. :(

feebs
07-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Last week my 6 year old daughter informed me that our hamster Jessica had a black eye. i was totally shocked by what i discovered as it appeared that her little eye was popping out of its socket and was dried up rather like current. I took her to a vet at once but seeing as it was out of hours i was told that i would have to pay 66 and that was before she had even been treated. Well i felt really sorry but i had to turn around and go home as i could not justify that amount of money on a hamster although i do love her dearly and more to the point i do not have that sort of money. I did a little research on-line and found that this seems to be a pretty common thing among our little furry friends. i really did think we were going to lose her but i decided to do all i could to help her to be as comfortable as possible before the inevitable actually happened. i normally clean her cage weekly but i started to do it daily thinking that the cleaner the cage was the less chance there was of a really nasty infection setting in. i also took good care to make sure her little house was spotless as i was pretty sure that this was how the eye had got so bad in the first place as she really is a dirty little girl and wees and poos in there as well as hoarding all her food too, all this i reckon would be an ideal breeding place for germs. Anyway like you i also started to bathe it in saline which was hard as she;s so wriggly and a bit nippy to if you don't watch your fingers. i decided to stop doing this as it became inevitable she would lose the eye and it was quite dry with very little blood or weeping so i thought best to let nature take its course. all this has occurred over the course of 1 week and she has now lost the eye. i did not find it so i think she may of eaten it but I'm glad to say she seems no worse for the wear shes eating and drinking and comes out playing so I'm really happy. I do think that i have been very lucky as i could have lost her through this and i would always advise that if you possibly can to take any sick animal to a vet before you endeavour to try to deal with an illness or injury you know nothing about.

nanamouse
07-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Wow. Thank you Lord for making me a human, not a hamster.

feebs
07-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree whole heartedly with your comment. While i love my hamster i have always felt so sad about the solitary caged life which it has to live and will not be replacing her when we lose her. We bought her for our daughter who is 6 but as so often happens she lost interest really quickly and it is left to me to care for her. Now i have this problem with her eye to contend with and although she has lost the eye and it looks fairly clean and uninfected around the area where her eye once was i cannot be sure she is not in pain. yes she eats and drinks and plays on her wheel but she cannot communicate to me how he feels and i do worry that i may have been kinder to have her put to sleep. So yes you are right. a dogs life maybe but a hamsters not on your nelly!

kaitlin
07-27-2010, 10:58 PM
a dogs life maybe but a hamsters not on your nelly!

Are you serious? Weren't you the one that went out and bought the hamster? If so, then you should have done your research, and maybe then if you saw that it's "common" for their eyes to pop out, which I've never heard of, you would have reconsidered? I am very, very greatful you will not be replacing your hamster, too many people just run out and get some small animal on impulse, and stuff like this happens, ohh well, you're only out 15 bucks eh?

msjdoolittle
07-28-2010, 12:31 AM
And here I went and paid over $1000 for surgery and treatment of an abcess on a $4 rat!

kaitlin
07-28-2010, 10:06 AM
And here I went and paid over $1000 for surgery and treatment of an abcess on a $4 rat!

You know, that same night, I went out and spent over 100 bucks on my 2.99 betta fish. I just can't stand that people will look at something and because it's not "worth alot of money".. they'd rather it die. ALL of my customers at work by the animal because it's cute, and they like cute, who cares if the cage is 3 inches by 4 inches... thats all the money they can fathom on spending on "a 12.99 hamster"... grrrrrr.:mad:

feebs
08-03-2010, 11:10 AM
If money was no object to me I would spend any amount of money to ensure that my pet was OK. As it was I simply could not afford it I did not have the money period. I resent the insinuation that I am somehow a cruel or irresponsible pet owner. I did the very best that i could at the time and I still have a happy and thriving hamster all be it she now has one eye but seems no worse for the wear. I am not arrogant enough to think I know all there is to know or to admit I sometimes make mistakes but what I do is learn from them. I am a gentle and caring person to animals and humans alike and would never judge a person on the amount of money they are able to spend on their pet. Neither do i think a person who has not got much money should be denied the pleasure of a pet. I also have a 7 year old mongrel molly who is insured. Maybe I should have insured jessica eh? BTW the one who spent all that money on the fish that proves nothing except you are richer than me.bully for you

kaitlin
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
It's not that I have more money than any one.. I'm not even close to rich, I'm still in college for goodness sakes, living with my parents and working part time at a pet shop. It's the fact that I realize that all animals deserve the best I can possibly give them, just because it's "just a fish and not a dog" doesn't mean I love him any less, or want to care about him any less.. I just think if you take on an animal, big or small, you shoudl be in charge of what happens for it.. HE CAN'T TAKE HIMSELF TO THE VET.. HE CAN'T GET A JOB TO PAY FOR HIS VET BILLS!! He didn't wake up one day and decide to be a hamster at a pet store..it's not his fault he's not a dog!

msjdoolittle
08-04-2010, 11:11 AM
It's good to know your hamster is doing well, with the loss of her eye.

I think the point that was trying to be made was that if one is unwilling or unable to pay for the medical attention a pet may need, one shouldn't bring that pet into one's home. I don't believe any of us here are RICH, but made a commitment to having our pets and will do whatever it takes to fulfill that commitment.

renee41
08-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes thats right to a point, but i think that everone should have a pet so long as they are willing to give 100% commitment to it whether it be a goldfish or a horse big or small they all have feelings just like us. Vet bills can be terribly expensive but here in the uk there are many animal charities which will give vet care for a small fee or even a donation of whatever you can afford. There really is no excuse. The lady with the hamster did what she thought was best for her animal and i doubt she would have taken the trouble to actually go to the vet if she hadnt really cared about it, luckily for her her pet is now fine but i would advise her to check out whats available in her area in the way of animal charities so she does not find herself in this postion anymore.

dolly917
08-18-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a fancy russian dwarf hamster. Yesterday she was fine and her eyes were as beautiful as always. i always inspect my hams every week to make sure they are okey. i came to my room this morning and saw her eye was bulging out and when i gently touched it,
(a desperate attempt to put it back in)it was completely dry, but the fur around her eye was wet. Not blood but more like a fluid(eye juice???). I was so scared and shocked, i burst into tears. My baby elly died of old age, she was my First hammy along with her cage mate shelby, who died of an absess. This dwarf always was a mean little girl but i still loved her so much, even tho i couldnt pick her up much. She was recently seperated from her cage mate tulip because she bit tulip`s face, (tulip is doing very well an has heald) They have been fine with the seperation and have been much more active lately. Rosy(the one with the bulgy eye) is fine, eats,sleeps,runs on wheel,burrows, all the normal stuff. Im afraid that if her eye closes shut (i suspect she is already blind in it) will it spread?? what will happen, good or bad??? will it slowly rot inside her head??? this has never happened before. I will like to say my hamsters are always care for in best mannor even tho i am young i know the best for them. Rosy doesnt seem to be in any distress now, but i would like to know any possible treatment at home that would help? i can not afford the vet yet but i will be saving. email me or reply at dollyshettle@ymail.com pleaseee!!!!!!! thanks, sorry this was long :-(

jehbrian2212
07-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I have been taking good care of my hamster until recently, his fur kept dropping off.... then sooner or later, he had no hair at all on his body.... I cleaned the cage every 2 days... so i have no idea why his fur drops off so much... also.. his left eye recently got swollen and he couldn't even open his eyes. he was only able to look around with 1 eye. however, 2 days ago, i noticed that his eye that was swollen was able to open just a little bit.. the upper eye lid is still swollen but the lower eye lid is back to normal.. i don't know why... his cage does not have any dangerous items in it and i clean the cage as stated above already... can someone tell me why my hamster is suffering this sickness? i can't seem to find a solution.... (my bro suggested putting it down but i hate doing that. i feel that its bad to hurt an animal just because its sick.) help me please!