PDA

View Full Version : Cat Breeder: BEWARE!!!

TMLOWESRACIN
12-10-2005, 03:09 PM
Be cautious as to where, and who you purchase your cat from!! My wife, and I purchased a Burmese cat from a breeder located in CT.- name of cattery is Whisker Wuv Burmese. Owner of cattery- Lynette Massow. Remember that name, and name of the cattery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To start off problem began with the cat being ill. Had a upper respitarory infection, ring worm, under weight and ear mites. I can understand the ear mites situation, I've heard that does tend to happen when getting a cat from a breeder. Environment in the household was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! She had to have @ least 20 cats roaming around. Bird feces on the floor -(yes inside the house)!! Make a long story short- we did not get registartion papers to register the feline w/ C.F.A., my wife, and I had left numerous amount of messages for her, no return call, and/ or explanation!! Cat was "fixed", and breeder was well aware of that!! We did get the cat because we travelled est. 2-3 hours, and we felt bad for cat. This was our first time dealing w/ a breeder, so be VERY CAREFUL where kitty comes from!!! This individual was obviously out for money, and nothing else.

Squawksx3
12-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Im so sorry to hear this :( . Have you thought about calling authorites in regards to the living conditions there?. I do not believe in going to breeders or buying animals... I adopt rescues. Definately sounds like a BYB/collector. :mad: . Good luck with your purr~kid.

JustJo
12-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Im so sorry to hear this :( . Have you thought about calling authorites in regards to the living conditions there?. I do not believe in going to breeders or buying animals... I adopt rescues. Definately sounds like a BYB/collector. :mad: . Good luck with your purr~kid.

I absolutely agree with Squawks! If conditions were such, please report to authorities. This "breeder" is obviously a BYB.

alicat620
12-11-2005, 12:00 AM
This individual was obviously out for money, and nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I do not ever ... even make comments about these threads ... because it sickens me and I am TOTALLY frightened of what I may say, and this is why ............... If you feel you need a "purebred" ANIMAL, can I ask you why? I dont know anyone who has a purchased cat. They are all strays, rescues or probably "cast away" purebreds, who knows. And if the conditions were as deplorable as you say ... well more reason for us humans to feel disgraced.

You say you got cat ... because you traveled 2/3 hours for it, and then felt bad for it ... I do not understand.

Forgive me, this is only my opinion and I am partial to animals that have no home, ... If you want to see bad, go to your nearest local shelter.

ck29
12-11-2005, 03:40 AM
im not disagreeing with getting cats fromr escues at all, cos they do a superb job. but it's a viscious circle. I f we all got our cats from there then nobody would be buying cats anywhere else and you'd end up with even morer cats needing help.
There got to be an answer somewhere, to break the cycle.
People need to, in m yopinion, register every single cat they own, and register if theyre for breeding or pets, like u do for pedigree's. I know this wont stop the problem quickly, but then you da hvae records of some sort, and can police thees records, check up pets arent being used for breeding etc.

It'll never happen, like i think pet shops should be banned from selling livestock, as they dont care whose byuing then, where theyre going, what theyll be fed or live in etc.

more strict laws need to be put into palace.

I have two " moggies" and one pedigree persian, no papers.
I gt my moggies from a stupid woman who has 6 female cats and some boys, she hasnt had any fixed, so the poor things keep having babies all over the palace. she asked if i wanted any as she sick of having so many ( easy anser, get them neutured). they were free, and i felt awfull for them, god knows what would have happend had we not taken them in. 6 months later same woman approaches us again, we take another two kittens, both had flu, eye infections, felas and worms. One had congential abnormalities, prob due to mass interbreeding and sadly was PT at 4 months old.

we reported woman to rspca, nobody even visited her house as far as we know, and she still overun with cats, the house is filthdy, and the poor girls having kittens over and over and over.

my persian is a pedigree, though i dont have his papers, im not interested in the papers at all, i got him S THOUGHT HE WAS ADORABLE, not because i saw pound signs or anything, he's a pet like my other .

A lot of shelters wont give me a cat as i hd two already and have two kids.
I dont see this as a problem myself, with the right cat of course, so by being so restrictive theyre making more cats stay with them. there are cats who will have been raised with children and other cats that i could have homed.

if/when i decide on another cat i will try shelters first of course, all i trtying to say is people arent abd for buying pets from breeders etc, but i do agree shelters would be my first place to look.

alicat620
12-11-2005, 05:09 PM
CK, you have made many great points in your post. I agree as well that people should take full responsibility for their pets, breeders too. I was thinking :rolleyes: after I wrote my post, rereading it and like I said within it - this is why I do not generally and probably should not even respond! I am just very passionate, as we all are, about certain issues ... one of mine being homeless and abused animals. So.... I will rattle off quickly, while most likely sounding a bit ignorant & uninformed~! I should not have made the statement asking why these people felt they needed a "purebred," that one I will recant. I guess if you want a certain breed because your heart is set on it or you want to place the pet in shows, then this is why. I just get hurt deeply when I think about some of my cat's and dog's with poor histories whom I've rescued and now this I read about a breeder. Bless your heart for taking those cats from this "lady" you mention in your post.

You also said that if we got all our cats from rescues and not breeders, then there would be more needing homes ... this is where I am uninformed ... the word breeder - that says to me "control" of some sort, more so then this "lady" you mention (a whole other "can of worms") who is one of those irresponsible ... well the word cannot be posted.

Like I said, you took these cats in ... you have a great heart.

ck29
12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
oh i not disagreeing with what you were saying at all, i think shelters do some wonderfull work, but i dont see the need to ahve a pedigree cat with papers really, a pets a pet with or without papers.

that lady with the cats isnt a breeder she just an idiot lol

patchesmom
12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Why didn't you research beforeyou bought the cat....supporting byb is not helping anyone...the more you buy the more poor defensless cats will be bred and dumped on the street to die

Be cautious as to where, and who you purchase your cat from!! My wife, and I purchased a Burmese cat from a breeder located in CT.- name of cattery is Whisker Wuv Burmese. Owner of cattery- Lynette Massow. Remember that name, and name of the cattery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To start off problem began with the cat being ill. Had a upper respitarory infection, ring worm, under weight and ear mites. I can understand the ear mites situation, I've heard that does tend to happen when getting a cat from a breeder. Environment in the household was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! She had to have @ least 20 cats roaming around. Bird feces on the floor -(yes inside the house)!! Make a long story short- we did not get registartion papers to register the feline w/ C.F.A., my wife, and I had left numerous amount of messages for her, no return call, and/ or explanation!! Cat was "fixed", and breeder was well aware of that!! We did get the cat because we travelled est. 2-3 hours, and we felt bad for cat. This was our first time dealing w/ a breeder, so be VERY CAREFUL where kitty comes from!!! This individual was obviously out for money, and nothing else.

alicat620
12-11-2005, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=ck29]oh i not disagreeing with what you were saying at all, i think shelters do some wonderfull work, but i dont see the need to ahve a pedigree cat with papers really, a pets a pet with or without papers.

That's exactly what I was saying in my first post and then trying ... in my second post, to not be as harsh, open my mind more and try to figure out reasons as to why they purchase, but I never would. I misconstrued some things you wrote, sorry :o

I do not have much of a mind these days, forgive me and I hope that your kitties are doing well :)

bunkeesmommy
12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I am the adopted human of a beautiful Maine Coon cat, pure bred as the day is long, and no, I don't have any papers on her, nor do I want any papers on her as she is fixed. I got Puff from a lovely breeder about an hour from my home and when I went there, the house was pristine, despite the fact that there were 8 grown cats and a litter of kittens running all over the place. I had called the breeder to see if they had any pet quality kittens available because they are often times a lot cheaper and they said no, but they had a show quality cat (she was 18 months old when I got her) that IF I met qualifications (including a background check) I could have for free. That was almost 10 years ago. Yes, she was my "dream cat", and no, I wouldn't trade her in for the world and I have 5 alley cats now who were all saved at one point or another from going to a shelter.

My point? Not all breeders are as irresponsible as those mentioned here. Some really do care and go to great lengths to make sure that their cats go to responsible, loving homes for life.

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.

(ps if you are wondering where she is at now, she is living with my parents because I got her when I was living with them and she got really attached to my dad and didn't do well when we moved out, so I took her back to "daddy")

John Olexa
12-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Shelter pets need homes more then breeders or pet stores need your money.

TMLOWESRACIN
12-15-2005, 08:26 PM
To Alicat- we got a purebreed because- YES we did do research on the Burmese breed- and we both loved it's personallity, and it's intelligence!! ENOUGH SAID!! As far as the papers are concerned I don't really give a damn if we got the papers @ this point or not!! Point is don't B.S. my wife, and I. I also have a Blue Point Siamese, we bought him w/ the understanding NO PAPERS- which I'm cool w/- I just don't like being bull&@$@#&*!!!!!!!!!! As far as the authorities are concerned- yes I reported her to the local animal control officer- explained to her the situation, she stated that she was going to "stop by the house"- until today I have yet to hear a thing!! Bottom line is that I originally posted this thread to give the general public a "heads up"!!!!!!

TMLOWESRACIN
12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
oh yeah- whats BYB??? Merry x-mas everyone!!

Magnum
12-15-2005, 08:51 PM
oh yeah- whats BYB??? Merry x-mas everyone!!
BYB=Back Yard Breeder.

I personally appreciate you coming here and letting us know about your experience with this irresponsible breeder. I do hope you realize that there are members here that are quite passionate about the health and well being of pets, as well as all animals. Reading such horrible conditions is not an isolated issue, but a world wide concern. Time after time, post after post, thread after thread we read about these situations and it hurts so much to the point that the original poster appears to be hammered on, when it's actually the irresponible breeder they are upset with. I hope you understand.

Many individuals are not aware of such breeders, so your post helps get the word out and educate. Take the terms BYB or Puppy Mill; these are so widely known here because we see and read so much of the reality of the vast number of pets that are euthanized each year due to Back Yard Breeders and Puppy Mill activity. I am really trying not to get on my soap box because I don't want you to feel that I am hammering....lol, so I will end it here. I hope you are not sorry for posting, and I do want to Welcome you to PetLovers. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.;)

Squawksx3
12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
BYB means back yard breeder ... they only breed to make money and aren't concerned with the health or welfare of the animals they produce ;) . Those of us in rescue are usually "cleaning up" after the BYB's. Many of us on this board care alot about the animals and hope someday the millions of animals will no longer be unwanted, abandoned and dumped to die in our local shelters. There are too many people breeding for money and not for the betterment of the breed.. and adding to the homeless and unwanted population. I understand people that want a certain animal and I respect those people, why get one when its not what you wanted and wont be happy with. I hope the animal control makes a visit to that house. Thank you for the heads up. Its sad and tragic that people have to go through what you've been through. Again, good luck with your baby... Happy Holidays to you also. :)

Squawksx3
12-15-2005, 08:59 PM
LMBO Mags!.. you beat me again!.. I had to take the pizza out of the oven... :p

TMLOWESRACIN
12-18-2005, 05:30 PM
hey magnum, and squawks- thanks much appreciated!! I saw an interesting piece on CNN- Anderson Cooper 360. RE: peta euthanizing animals. Vet office had 2 kittens, an employee of peta was @ this vets office, and made the statement "they're so cute, we won't have a hard time finding a home for them".- An incident occured were ther was dead animals found in a dumpster. Come to find out it was indeed the kittens from the vets office, the employee is being criminally charged. The president was on the show, she stated that they do euthanize animals. Statement was made that this "peta organization" is a 29 million dollar co.. to me it's very contradictive to be euthanizing animals- but yet they spas out about eating chicken so on, so fourth.- Seems to me like alot of B.S.!!!! Happy holidays to you all!! If interested may want to check out CNN's web site, unsure if they'll have a link to click on Re; the above mentioned issue., Thanks again, gn all!!

alicat620
12-18-2005, 09:13 PM
If you take a minute and read MY posts, the first post you'll see the one question I directed at you ... as well as the second post I wrote somewhat redeeming myself in by trying to understand the reason for your purchase. But, your post said "to Alicat" - and then after answering my one question, you went on with several more responses to other comments/posts, not written by ME. I never asked you whether you did research on a breed?? Did I?? I never asked you about or stated anything on having papers for a pet?? Did I?? Please reread mine/and all other posts carefully and then direct your comments.

I appreciate your answer for me, however ... it appears as if you are answering OTHER'S statements, that you are not fond of, and they are directed at ME. My name is the only one there. You may have decided to answer all posts in one go, but it appears as if I wrote all the statements you are responding to ... but it as simple as reading all posts from the start. I asked you why you felt the need for a "purebred" or purchased cat. and that's it ... and then went back and posted a second time, after opening my mind a bit for some understanding, the reasons people may have for it. I never mentioned anything about "doing research before you purchase," "papers for the pet," etc. That was all I said, the one question. I cannot take the heat for what I did not write, whether I agree or not.

Please go back and read all posts, address your appropriate responses in that post you addressed to me only, to whom wrote it and for whom it was intended. As I said in my second post, I open my mind to help understand things at times, whether I agree or not, however ... I WILL take all whiplash for everything I write or say, but I WILL not take any whiplash for anything I did not post that I did not write or say. I think that is fair and mature. It may be a good idea to ADDRESS your responses "right off the bat" to the post/poster you are answering. This way no one gets offended or appears misunderstood.

I apologize if I have read you wrong, but I do need to make it clear. Possibly you felt uncomfortable directing those responses to each poster who wrote the statements, or you just answered ALL in one post (with my name at front) ... I am not sure but still I must make the correction. Again, it is important that you read both my post's (particularly the second one) and all other member's post's in between, basically ... from the start. Call me a "stickler," but I do not like to be misread nor misunderstood and then accused. I hope I have not offended you in any manner, this then, and now is not my intention.

I am glad that your wife and you have concern enough to the point to post this about this breeder. I hope that you, your wife and your "babies" are all well. Have a WONDERFUL holiday season~! :)

Laurie

Squawksx3
12-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I actually was a little confused on that also.... but I wouldnt worry too much about it Laurie.. seems we're off on another subject now LOL :rolleyes: .

Magnum
12-21-2005, 12:48 AM
What does PETA have to do with warning others about a cat breeder? I hope it has nothing to do with a specific, well respected member here.:confused:

Angelakogan
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm Burmese breeder myself. I do provide health warranty for all my kittens for 1 year! No one, who bought from me, have ever wanted return or exchange their kittens; because all my kittens were healthy kids! You should sign a purchasing agreement first. I understand why you bought pure bred Burmese kitten. It's not that easy to find Burmese in a shelter!
Marry Christmas everybody!

John Olexa
12-22-2005, 06:18 PM

Angelakogan
12-22-2005, 06:24 PM
How do pure bred cats will be pure bred if nobody will breed them? :confused:
Breeding cats is LOT OF WORK!

John Olexa
12-22-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey! I just said sheltered pets need a home more then you need my money.
Didn't say a damm thing about breeding.

"A lot of work" LMBO! Try rescuing! now that! a lot of work.

Squawksx3
12-22-2005, 09:00 PM
It's not that easy to find Burmese in a shelter!

I just found 68 Burmese/Burmese mix on petfinders that are in shelters and rescues:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Breed=Burmese&pet.Animal=Cat&preview=1

This one is a mix with an urgent plea....he will be euthanized on Jan 4, 2006. he's a beauty: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4735674&adTarget=&SessionID=43ab5fc93a43d5f7-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

other Burmese rescues: http://www.burmesecat.org/rescue/current_rescue.html
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/burmese.htm

Theres some beautiful babies on those sites... and because they are mix does not make them lesser of a cat. Please dont breed and buy while thousands die........:(

Magnum
12-23-2005, 12:21 AM
OMGosh, how sad is that!!!!:( Watson is going to DIE Jan 4th if no home is found. How horrible. This truly breaks my heart.:{

Please.....anyone in the area of Watson.....please open your heart and home to this beautiful Burmese baby. 13 days.....

Hidden Treasures Adoption Center
Berlin, CT
860-828-3106
becky@japan-cc.com

alicat620
12-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Jan, Wow, I had no idea that there were so many "Purebred/specific breed" rescues and shelters. I knew they existed of course, but not at this magnitude, this saddens me more. You have enlightened and educated me and I am doing more RESEARCH on this now, thank you! ... I have only known the "mutt" shelters! City/county shelters, rescues, ASPCA and HSUS, and of course the strays, from where no one knows, that God sent into my life.

That beautiful Burmese called "Watson" on one site, that Mag mentioned above as well, and the fact that he would be euthanized on JANUARY 4, tore at my heart, I wish I could just take him now. It's very hard for me to read or see these situations ... I not only feel horrible at the time, I take it with me, it stays with me ... for a while. What probably saddens me more is the fact that some people just do not "get it", like me and others.

JANUARY 4, I am sure I will not fully enjoy the holidays because of this on my mind, if at all. I'll be saying many prayers for this one ... and all the others too as always.

Angelakogan
12-23-2005, 11:35 AM
I just found 68 Burmese/Burmese mix on petfinders that are in shelters and rescues:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=1&pet.Breed=Burmese&pet.Animal=Cat&preview=1

This one is a mix with an urgent plea....he will be euthanized on Jan 4, 2006. he's a beauty: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4735674&adTarget=&SessionID=43ab5fc93a43d5f7-app3&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

other Burmese rescues: http://www.burmesecat.org/rescue/current_rescue.html
http://purebredcatbreedrescue.org/burmese.htm

Theres some beautiful babies on those sites... and because they are mix does not make them lesser of a cat. Please dont breed and buy while thousands die........:(

WOW!!! I did not know that !!!!!! :(

Squawksx3
12-23-2005, 03:18 PM
The UK has a big problem with homeless and thrown-away Burmese cats, but I didnt post them since most of us are in the US. Type in "Burmese cat rescue" in your search engine. Its shocking all the purebred animals in shelters and rescues :( .

All I want for Christmas is for Watson's life to be spared and he finds a family to love................ please Santa?.

jojoalexis
12-23-2005, 05:54 PM
it is really sad but true. I used to spend time being there with animals that were being euthanized. There are far too many pets and way too few good homes. What I don't understand is why is the breeding alolowed to continue????

thecatspot
12-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Not just anyone can breed cats, it takes alot of time and patience..

Magnum
12-23-2005, 10:53 PM
All I want for Christmas is for Watson's life to be spared and he finds a family to love................ please Santa?.
That is all I want too.:(

alicat620
12-24-2005, 01:48 AM
How heartbreaking this is, the "homeless" that are doomed ... and what TIME, PATIENCE, dedication and effort it is to find a homeless cat, dog, etc., a home and not receive any monetary reward ... only a simple, but wonderful primal feeling deep in your heart, that you have given a precious dependent life the very thing it should have had from birth.

Dominic
09-18-2006, 07:00 PM
I currently have 2 males - 1 Burmese and 1 Bombay.
I did a lot of research before finally adopting (for a fee).
Anyone interested in chatting about Burms or Bombays is welcome. I look forward to hearing from you ! :)
I am not far from the Middletown CT area, but I went to Maryland and southern New Jersery for my boys.
:)

Dominic
09-18-2006, 07:13 PM
I have rescued cats and dogs all my life and I continue to support local animal shelters - even after I'm gone from this earth, they will be remembered with financial support. With that said, I have decided that I really care for and enjoy the company of bred Burmese cats. I have done research before adopting (for the fee) these beautiful creatures. Peace to all - Cats RULE !

Angelakogan
10-04-2006, 02:55 PM
How is your kitty doing now ?

phillydogs
10-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Forget the cops and animal control, you need to contact your state's attorney general and file a consumer complaint against her. The only way to get her shut down is to go after her license (if she has one) You can usually pick up a form at your local state representative's office. Make copies of any agreements you had about the certification, copies of vet bills, etc. Let them go after her for it. At the very least they will investigate her and if she doesn't have a license, shut her down hopefully!